Best guitarist of the three?
Aug 31, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #17 of 45
Same here....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
As much as I can't stand listening to most Zeppelin (due to overplaying and Plant's oversinging), Page's godliness cannot be denied.

Aug 31, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #19 of 45
Well, as far as the fairness goes, I think that all three bands play generally the same style of guitar, so I thought the lineup was reasonably fair (accept, of course, for some of the really unique styles of Led Zep).

I think the same as the majority here, I think that generally Page was the most influencial, but I still think that Slash and Perry were both much better at actually playing their instruments.

No doubting that Page invented a new style of guitar playing, though.

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #20 of 45
What about Steve Vai / Joe Satriani etc.? I think they are amazing when they play Solo.

Joe Satriani's cool is kickass!!
eggosmile.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #21 of 45
Zep is without question my favorite rock band. Page is an awesome rock composer. I would say Page is the best, as he is the most successful in the context of the band as a whole, ie in his abilility to shape the band's sound with his playing. HOWEVER, none of the three are excellent rock guitarists--I would say "good"...page is sloppy with unimpressive technical skill(not that technical skill determines how good a rock musician is), Perry and slash just run boring pentatonic scales the majority of the time, without much, if any, soul. They both have impressive moments, but the playing is mostly cliche rock riffing. Hendrix. Van Halen. These are guys who make rock guitar as interesting as it can get.

Sep 1, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #25 of 45
Guys I know there are better guitarists out there, but I am just naming THESE three.

I know that Clapton and Hendrix and Santana are all better, BUT - they are solo musicians (with a band, of course) - but basically it's not a group, it's one person writing the music in those situtations and the bands follow along.

I just know that this topic has been discussed before on similar forums and on television, so I thought it may be a good one to discuss here. I mean, Santana and Jimmy Page are NOT comparable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 1, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Slash of Guns N Roses
Joe Perry of Aerosmith
Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin

Which one of the three do you think has the most tallent and contributed the most to the great sound of all three of these fantastic bands?

"contributed the most" As in MVP of the team?
smily_headphones1.gif

I still Page would be the main pillar of Zep. Not a Guns & Roses expert but I always had the sense that Slash was the most talented member of the band.

(As for Aerosmith, they completely baffle me. They had some good songs in the 70s, yet they still put out music now...like the living dead-they are living-but their talent died 25 years ago. Someone call a priest!).

Sep 1, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb
So true eyeteeth...took me a fraction of a nanosecond to make this choice...

I think it took me two picoseconds. Slush? What is Arrowsmith?

Sep 2, 2004 at 1:14 AM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Guys I know there are better guitarists out there, but I am just naming THESE three.

I know that Clapton and Hendrix and Santana are all better, BUT - they are solo musicians (with a band, of course) - but basically it's not a group, it's one person writing the music in those situtations and the bands follow along.

I just know that this topic has been discussed before on similar forums and on television, so I thought it may be a good one to discuss here. I mean, Santana and Jimmy Page are NOT comparable.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think the problem you are running into here is that people don't tend to think about those three together a lot. Page is a blues-influenced progenitor of hard rock, Perry's style is much more representative of the 1970s style of rock playing (listen to the Dazed & Confused soundtrack to see what I mean)and Slash, well, again I don't know that much to speak about Slash. Most people here, I'd say, think Page is head and shoulders better than the other two, so they suggest other guitarists who might give him a run for his money.

Santana writes with a band, or at least did for the band's first couple of albums. Clapton has been with Cream and Derek & the Dominoes. Sure, maybe they did a lot of the writing in those bands, but don't tell me that Page didn't do a lot of the Zep writing. Actually, didn't he produce most of their records?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back