Best gear for listening to classical music...
Oct 26, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #271 of 319
No O2 can sound harsh and shin. So high end users don't use O2.
Have you ever heard good class A headphone amps? They never sound harsh.

Pokemonn-san you shouldn't trust about 90% of reviews and opinions on this forum (and that's an understatement) when it comes to gear.

The O2 has ruler flat response, and has been shown in blind tests that it's indistinguishable between the Benchmark DAC2 HGC (which is scientifically one of the most transparent amps on the market).

I have both heard and owned many top end headphone amps but I understand electronics from having done an engineering degree so I trust other foolproof methods of testing gear.

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #273 of 319
Perfect hifi amping has been achieved a while back, it's been settled for more than 20 years. expensive amps are more marketing than reality. It's absurd to talk of class A or class B etc. Even a properly made modern calss D amp is much cheaper and genuinely hifi. And also saves electricity bills.

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #274 of 319
No O2 can sound harsh and shin. So high end users don't use O2.
Have you ever heard good class A headphone amps? They never sound harsh.

JDS Labs O2 and iFi micro iCAN sound almost exactly the same. They would make high-end HPs sound how they are though...:D

Nov 6, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #275 of 319
Can't remember who it was @Claritas  and somebody else

I gave in and bought the HD600, it's tonally very well balanced thanks!

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #276 of 319
Speakers with giant woofers and wide bandwidth compression driver on a waveguide or horn. Then use even larger woofers for the low end. Classical never sounded so good. Large orchestras can be incredibly dynamic and sad to say a speaker with small drivers just can't keep up.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #277 of 319
Speakers with giant woofers and wide bandwidth compression driver on a waveguide or horn. Then use even larger woofers for the low end. Classical never sounded so good. Large orchestras can be incredibly dynamic and sad to say a speaker with small drivers just can't keep up.

Driver size doesn't determine dynamics. I've heard a few mid-size floor speakers with smaller drivers, with astounding performance playing classical symphonies.

Power amp wattage does.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #279 of 319
I recently sold my T1 and W1000X as I wasn't using them enough. After, I purchased a K550 to use as a portable headphone in the library - been using them for a while now.

Comfort could be better (but not bad) because of the slightly shallow earpads. The memory foam however is very comfortable when I wear glasses.

The sound is excellent. The W5000 sounds airier, the HD 650 sounds fuller, but like the Senn the AKG is balanced sounding, and less coloured than both headphones. Nothing too intrusive. It sounds right in the middle between my other 2 headphones. I was worried about the treble, but it's not fatiguing, and doesn't intrude like the T1 did, especially with string quartets (e.g. Britten). Better bass extension than the W5000 means it handles symphonies in a more satisfying way.

It isolates incredibly well, which also comes into its own in the library. My room being next to a road means that I am using the AKG more than I expected, and without feeling like I miss anything.

It is middle of the road somewhat which may explain some lukewarm reviews, but I get it, and appreciate for what it is. I forget about a headphone's presentation, and just listen to the music.

Oh and build quality top notch, a little satisfying weight to them, smooth and firm joints, and metal parts. Can't believe they're only just over £100.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #280 of 319

Do you prefer it over your HD 650 with piano music? Would be interested to hear your thoughts once you've have some time with the 600

From the time I've spent with them, I think the HD600 is less coloured, but not by big margins.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #282 of 319
I've read people saying about the HD600 having a smaller 'soundstage' than the HD650. Is that even possible/true at all?
Also Pokemonn - exactly how many headphones do you have?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #283 of 319
  I've read people saying about the HD600 having a smaller 'soundstage' than the HD650. Is that even possible/true at all?
smily_headphones1.gif

Perception of sound location is definitely affected by frequency response... or perhaps more correctly FR is affected by sound location.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #284 of 319
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it's all in their heads (as usual).
biggrin.gif

I have compared my 600 to 650 volume matched by pink noise and the presentation is just different. It doesn't seem wider or narrower to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back