Best gear for listening to classical music...
Jul 10, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #16 of 319
Any if you tried the PSB M4U 1 or 2 for CM? One of the most accurate and tonally balanced HP I've heard, sold my Audeze LCD-2.2 for it (which in turn made me sell my LCD-2F), but have no much experience on live CM, so asking.

No. How do they compare to HE560? I too sold LCD-2.2 after 2.5 yrs. Too heavy on me head for longer sessions.

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #18 of 319
  I don't understand why bright headphones are recommended for classical music. They make violins sound thin and harsh as already mention here...
So, for those of us who appreciate darker sound, LCD 2 might be the perfect summit-fi choice. How good is it for classical music? I imagine it being delightfully lush and sweet with orchestral music, for example. Will any LCD 2 owner chime in?

Don't like the LCD2 or any Audeze for Classical music.

It makes it fun/dramatic sounding for sure, but I like to hear what the conductor/performer intended as accurately as possible.

For example if I am listening to solo Violin performances, all the Audeze headphones (due to their low frequency boost) makes the G string sound disproportionately louder than the other strings...

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #19 of 319
Used GS1000and AKG K501 with Grace M902 for a long time. the GS1000 was especially good with solo piano..I did develope tinitus though since I listened 5hours or more a day (at not so high volume levels..)

Now I use the Philips Fidelio X2 with V200 amp, sounds more then decent and orchestral music like Mahler is much better..

For speakers I use Harbeth SHL5 with Marantz PM11S2 amp, dac19DSP and ipod on Wadia 170i  love the sound of it for classical, jazz trio's and acoustic guitar..

If I had to buy something I'd like to try the Hifiman HE1000
tongue.gif
for classical..

Jul 10, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #20 of 319
  Used GS1000and AKG K501 with Grace M902 for a long time. the GS1000 was especially good with solo piano..I did develope tinitus though since I listened 5hours or more a day (at not so high volume levels..)

Now I use the Philips Fidelio X2 with V200 amp, sounds more then decent and orchestral music like Mahler is much better..

For speakers I use Harbeth SHL5 with Marantz PM11S2 amp, dac19DSP and ipod on Wadia 170i  love the sound of it for classical, jazz trio's and acoustic guitar..

If I had to buy something I'd like to try the Hifiman HE1000
tongue.gif
for classical..

I have a phobia of buying any Hifiman goods. Some of their products, especially their DAPs exhibit some atrocious engineering. 

Jul 10, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #21 of 319
No. How do they compare to HE560? I too sold LCD-2.2 after 2.5 yrs. Too heavy on me head for longer sessions.

Heard the HE560, but my ears found it bit bright, and bass soft, bloomy, and short on definition, articulation and grunt. I preferred the SQ of the LCD-2.2. HE560 is nearer to the LCD-2F in terms of tonal balance, with the HE560 bit brighter. When I had the LCD-2f, and was looking for something better, I tried HE560 and LCD-2.2, bought the LCD-2.2 and sold the LCD-2f on a hearbeat. When I heard the NAD HP50, bought it immediately, and the LCD-2.2 became a bench player. Then I bought the PSB M4U1. Sold the LCD-2.2, which now sound bass lacking and mids bit forward overall. The M4U1 trumps all of them IMO in ALL aspects.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #22 of 319
Since none mentions Sennheiser HD600 I'll do that 
redface.gif
 HD600 have great transparency which gives the acoustic instruments a life-like quality. The same can be said about AKG k501 although these lack some bass weight. Without a good source it doesn't matter what headphones or amp you use. I never listen to classical music from mp3 files or Spotify. To make it as pure as possible I use my Marantz Sa-Ki Pearl Lite CD-player or my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit turntable. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #23 of 319
  Don't like the LCD2 or any Audeze for Classical music.

It makes it fun/dramatic sounding for sure, but I like to hear what the conductor/performer intended as accurately as possible.

For example if I am listening to solo Violin performances, all the Audeze headphones (due to their low frequency boost) makes the G string sound disproportionately louder than the other strings...

But this is exactly what I imagine I would enjoy on LCD 2. The upper violin strings are too bright even in live performances to my ears. Sometimes I daydream about some magic eq when listening to a violin performance in a concert hall, because the upper registers are so harsh. LCD 2 would probably sound lush and warm, especially on orchestral music with dominant string passages. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #24 of 319
But this is exactly what I imagine I would enjoy on LCD 2. The upper violin strings are too bright even in live performances to my ears. Sometimes I daydream about some magic eq when listening to a violin performance in a concert hall, because the upper registers are so harsh. LCD 2 would probably sound lush and warm, especially on orchestral music with dominant string passages. 

LCD-2.2s shoukd be worn as designed--cups more forward, otherwose your ears' flaps/auricle would cover up the driver, effectively blocking almost half of it and, consequently, the treble as well. When I wear it this way, I even find it sibilant and mids too forward.

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #25 of 319
LCD-2.2s shoukd be worn as designed--cups more forward, otherwose your ears' flaps/auricle would cover up the driver, effectively blocking almost half of it and, consequently, the treble as well. When I wear it this way, I even find it sibilant and mids too forward.

As long as the cups are deep enough to contain my ears without pressing on them, I'm happy. Even 880 wasn't deep enough and slightly touched my outer earlobes, making them itch after 30 minutes or so. If I am going to have the same problem with LCD 2, then I guess I shouldn't bother with it. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #26 of 319
As long as the cups are deep enough to contain my ears without pressing on them, I'm happy. Even 880 wasn't deep enough and slightly touched my outer earlobes, making them itch after 30 minutes or so. If I am going to have the same problem with LCD 2, then I guess I shouldn't bother with it. 

You wouldn't have any issue with that on the LCD-2.2 non-fazor. They're deep and huge. I could even change the tonal balance by moving around my ears. Reason I sold my LCD-2.2 is I find it less accurate than the NAD and PSB, and couldn't use it on my iPhone 6+.

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #27 of 319

No doubt it sounds fun and pleasant. But I don't like its lack of accuracy.

HD650 is very accurate.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #28 of 319
Fair enough. For accuracy I have HD600. LCD 2 should be simply for pleasure listening, for which it sounds like a perfect choice. I just want warm, lush and gorgeous orchestral sounds to enjoy symphonies and other large-scale works.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #29 of 319
I like my current setup for classical music:

Bryston BDA-2 DAC, TEAC HA-501 headphone amp & HD800 (stock, no mods).

The Bryston gives a "flat" response which helps reduce the harsh treble of poorly recorded pieces but it does not sacrifice details nor sound staging.

For interconnects, I use the Mogami W2549 cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back