Best Gaming PC Audio card
Mar 13, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

jasper1605

New Head-Fier
I'm a huge gamer and use my ps3 for movie viewing and don't listen to too much music. I'm looking for a gaming sound card (preferably under $300) that is top of the line. Any recommendations?

I've been told to stay away from creative things and auzentech/asus are my best two options.

Edit: I was going to make a poll but it seems I messed that up. On my list right now are the auzen forte 7.1, asus xonar dx2, and ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe 7.1.

I've got an amp capable of either analog inputs or HDMI so those are of no worries to me and I'd also prefer a pcie card for futureproofing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 27
I would suggest the Auzentech HTHD 7.1 PCI-E X1 soundcard.
It has all the gaming features support you could want, such as EAX 1,2,3,4,5 and OpenAL support all hardware accelerated. The card also has HDMI A/V support for movies, supports for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS-HDMA. These high resolution supports arealso available over analog output if you don't want to go HDMI. This card may be your best fit based on your amp and what your looking for.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has all the gaming features support you could want, such as EAX 1,2,3,4,5

Find me a single recent videogame using EAX...

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by FatMom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find me a single recent videogame using EAX...

So your saying if the game is not recent its not worth playing?

As a gamer, backwards compatibility with EAX is a must for me for example.

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #9 of 27
Also add CMSS-3D for headphones as a big plus if you use headphones of course.

I'm just trying to give all the angles people need to know about to make an informed purchase

Mar 15, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 27
Well that is an opinion.
If you're down on EAX, what about OpenAL? Still in full development and still fully hardware accelerated if you have the right hardware. Well EAX is also but that is a bit older...
The guy asked for a "gaming card" what good is a gaming soundcard if it will not handle ANY game you throw at it?

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 27
He never said he wanted to play games from 1998. Even todays onboard audio works just fine for recent games. Theres even some with dolby digital live and onboard optical out so you dont even need a sound card. welcome to 2010.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

He never said he wanted to play games from 1998. Even todays onboard audio works just fine for recent games. Theres even some with dolby digital live and onboard optical out so you dont even need a sound card. welcome to 2010.

1998?, I think you had better do some research.

Wow, even some with DDL? Do you even know what that means?
It means the card encodes audio to Dolby Digital and can send it to a receiver or digital speaker system. Nothing more, and DDL is actually many years old now.
DTS-Connect is better if you want to go that route but both are trade-offs. There is the HTHD 7.1 that support gaming standards and offers HDMI output, welcome to 2010!

Did you know that DDL is a lossy compression so you lose fidelity when you use it for your audio. Most that have good soundcards will also know that DDL is usually a downgrade to pure analog conections unless you have a very high priced receiver with high quality DAC's.

So you are actually playing games using on onboard and suggesting to others to do the same?

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 27
It means you can experience 5.1 dolby surround. What do you want more? Did you tried battlefield bad company 2 ? Just how awsome their sound engine is... with reverb and all the fancy audio stuff that back in the days you needed EAX. But you dont need EAX.. so whats left? dolby surround. And yeah it works fine on with any onboard chip that was made in the last decade.

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

It means you can experience 5.1 dolby surround. What do you want more? Did you tried battlefield bad company 2 ? Just how awsome their sound engine is... with reverb and all the fancy audio stuff that back in the days you needed EAX. But you dont need EAX.. so whats left? dolby surround. And yeah it works fine on with any onboard chip that was made in the last decade.

No. Actually it means you can have Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding on your audio and send it to another device. Dolby surround is a different standard, you need to do some research before you start throwing around terms you know nothing about. Again, it is a lossy routine so why do you want to degarde your audio?
What's left after EAX, umm OpenAL? Which is in full development and put into many newer games.

If you want to use your onboard for playing games, knock yourself out. I will still take a good gaming card anyday.

The OP asked for "best Gaming PC audio card", right now that is not your onboard using lossy DDL...sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back