Best gaming headset -- I have an amplifier, budget of less than $500
Jun 9, 2022 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shyatic

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently have the Beyerdynamic DT990s plugged into a GOXLR amplifier and they are great. However, my son damaged his headphones and it gives me an opportunity to upgrade my own and give him these.

I already have the amplifier, and on the high end budget is $500 (though I'm not trying to spend that much). It will likely be a Christmas present to myself towards the end of the year (just for timelines). I am basically playing games 100% of the time I use them, mostly shooters and things, and then occasionally some YouTube etc.

There's a big bonus if the cable is detachable -- that would be my preference.

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 8
Which model GOXLR amplifier?
Audio Technica ATH-AD700(X) headphones, great for FPS gaming?

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Did you like the 990s? A 1990 is a natural upgrade path.

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 8
I just got an Audio Technica adh1000x and it's kingpin for gaming. The hd800s has a bigger soundstage but crazy price tag. The Grado 325 is also excellent for dedicated gaming too. For value for money, the Beyerdynamic dt880 250 ohm is excellent too. The regular one, I have the black edition too and they have too much bass for gaming and the black pads are stiff.

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 8
I did -- and looks like the 1990 has a detachable cable -- so that's a plus!
I also felt the beyedynamic amiron were good for gaming, and they’re very comfortable.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Shure SRH1540 for closedback. Sound is dense. Very good panning and approaching. Very good visceral impact and realism. Long distance explosions are real.
Shure SRH1840 for openback. Exceptional imaging. Pinpoint accuracy. You can detect both distance and height of the object. But sound feels thinner comparing its siblings.

Both headphone has detachable cable. Non of them is ear fatiguing. Low level listening is very good. Comfort is superior due to the lightweight design.
For youtube I prefer SRH1840 but difference is slight. I prefer SRH1540 for overall listening seasons. Both are quite relaxing headphones.

SRH1540 feels open and transparan, plays like an openback headphone. Sweating is minimal comparing openback headphones. That is a plus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back