Best gaming headphones for my NEW budget...
Feb 23, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 28
i own the a900ltd's and they are perfect for gaming... they are closed and dont need an amp to be driven... i say go for the a900, since u wont need an amp, they are closed and you wont need to spend any more on amps or anything
smily_headphones1.gif
the 595's are open, so go for the a900's
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Ahhh this is really killing me. The HD595's and the A900's are literally exactly the same price, but I would need an amp for the HD595 as well, right? Are there any good amps for the HD595 $90 or under? I'm leaning toward the A900s, but can anybody confirm which is better? I DON'T want to spend more money if I don't have to.

I'm going to dissent from the commons here and say that the HD595 nor the A900 need an amplifier, and further that most conditions don't lead to them benefitting from an amplifier. Even your sound card's output ought to have enough voltage and current to drive them unproblematically to high volume levels. The benefits of an amp are... rather overstated, here.

Edit: The A900 is the better of the two for games, also. The headstage is much wider than the HD595's, helping positional accuracy immensely.

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #19 of 28
a900ltd's are basically a more refined version of the a900... i think they are the same as the a900's but everything is better...

ill quote something from another thread, posted awhile back

Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
the LTDs sound a bit more refined or smoother. All of the details, soundstage, and bass of A900s are there in the LTDs except they sound smoother. The mids in the LTDs have a bit more of a life like sound over standard version with tend to sometime have a bit of an edge or hard sound to it.

edit: they are also limited, which means their avaliability was limited, i think it might be difficult to find one now

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #21 of 28
if you've decided hopefully you can post some impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #24 of 28
I've got a question. Can anybody tell me how the soundstage on the sony MDR-XD400 compares to that of the A900? Because I read a short review of the XD400 here, and the person said that while it lacks in other departments, it has a tremendously huge soundstage. Does anybody know how the it might compare to the A900? Here is the review of the XD400:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=MDR-XD400

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
I've got a question. Can anybody tell me how the soundstage on the sony MDR-XD400 compares to that of the A900? Because I read a short review of the XD400 here, and the person said that while it lacks in other departments, it has a tremendously huge soundstage. Does anybody know how the it might compare to the A900? Here is the review of the XD400:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ight=MDR-XD400

YEah I would be interested in knowing this too. I'm buying new cans tomorrow and might be going for the XD400. At first it was hd555 but if the Sonys seems better for gaming I might go fro them. Price is about the same.

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:44 AM Post #26 of 28
Hey that's my review
biggrin.gif
! Yes, the soundstage on these are very wide, they are a little bright for my taste sine I am a Sennheiser fanboy but I feel that they have a wider soundstage than my HD650s and also sound better for rock if you'll be doing that as well. Although I posted that they were somewhat hollow in the mid range I have now had them burned in for 60 hours and that hollowness that was first their is pretty much gone. They have opened up quite a bit although I still don't think they're worth the $100 sony style sells them for but in terms of price to performance these have actually improved quite a bit although they don't do what I originally bought them for, which was portable use, they don't get any smaller even after burn in
smily_headphones1.gif
. I might put mine up for sale or trade since I am consolidating my headphones so pm me if your interested and I'll try and give you a fair price.
k1000smile.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #27 of 28
Basicly 555s for quiet enviroments then the a500/700/900 for noisy enviroments.
Realy the price performance ratio for the a900 is poor when you can get the a500 which sound the same in games for much less.

Feb 23, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #28 of 28
Well, I already ordered the A900.... I already own an MDR-XD400, and I use it for gaming, but I just can't help but notice it sounds very hollow, like a tin can or something. I paid $67 for it. I got it a while ago, like 4-5 months ago, so it's pretty much burned in... I was just wondering, is the soundstage on it even bigger than the A900?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back