Best gaming headphones for FPS games under $125?
Sep 26, 2007 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sofakng

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for "good" gaming (FPS) headphones for around $100 and some way of adding a microphone (or having one built-in to the headphones). I'm mostly playing first-person shooters so positional audio is extremely important and I'm rarely listening to music (unless it's music while I'm gaming).

The first post recommends the HD-280 Pro which Amazon has for $90.00 (new) which seems like a good price but I'm wondering if anything better exists.

I also need a microphone and I don't want anything that sits on my desk since I often lean back in my chair, etc, etc. I've seen a Zalan "microphone attachment" for headphones which apparantly clips onto headphones to provide a microphone. The microphone will only be used for in-game communication so I just want something clear and noise-free, but it doesn't need oustanding quality.

Can anybody recommend me a solution for around $100 or maybe a tiny bit more?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, OK. Maybe, MAYBE I can go up to $200 but I would need some convincing. However, I'd definitely perfer to stay below the $150 range.

Sep 27, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sofakng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for "good" gaming (FPS) headphones for around $100 and some way of adding a microphone (or having one built-in to the headphones). I'm mostly playing first-person shooters so positional audio is extremely important and I'm rarely listening to music (unless it's music while I'm gaming).

The first post recommends the HD-280 Pro which Amazon has for $90.00 (new) which seems like a good price but I'm wondering if anything better exists.

I also need a microphone and I don't want anything that sits on my desk since I often lean back in my chair, etc, etc. I've seen a Zalan "microphone attachment" for headphones which apparantly clips onto headphones to provide a microphone. The microphone will only be used for in-game communication so I just want something clear and noise-free, but it doesn't need oustanding quality.

Can anybody recommend me a solution for around $100 or maybe a tiny bit more?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, OK. Maybe, MAYBE I can go up to $200 but I would need some convincing. However, I'd definitely perfer to stay below the $150 range.

I'd recommend the Sen 595's.. You can get them for around 154.00 on Ebay..
Other suitable cans
Sony SA3000
AT 500/700
Beyer DT770
Sen 555

Good bang for the buck cans would be the Sen 212pro & AKG's DJ headphone..Forgot the model number... & theres the skull candys that have mini subwoofers in some of their headphones.

For adding a mic instructions & general help go here..
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=894251

Sep 27, 2007 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 6
If money wasn't a concern, would you still pick the HD-595's over my other choices:

HD-595
HD-280
DT-770 Pro (80 ohm)
ATH-A900

Also, are you referring to the HD-595 80-ohm version?

Sep 27, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

If money wasn't a concern, would you still pick the HD-595's over my other choices:

HD-595
HD-280
DT-770 Pro (80 ohm)
ATH-A900

If you could get up to about 160ish I would certainly go for the DT-770 Pro (80 ohm), they are pretty much the perfect gaming headphone and its what I keep them around for.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

HD-595
HD-280
DT-770 Pro (80 ohm)
ATH-A900

IMO, yes.. But the DT770 has that mind shattering bass thats fun for gaming..
There are only two for the 595's... 50 OHM & 120 OHM..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back