Best Full Sized under $300??
Jul 13, 2009 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

-=Resonant_Rebel=-

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Looks like I will be having a hefty paycheck coming in this week and I am looking to have my first Full Size Headphone Purchase. Help me out if you can. Also, if it's not too much trouble- can you include an image of the headphones when you post? If it's too much trouble, don;t worry about it.

Requirements:
  1. Under $300
  2. Highs and lows are a must
  3. No Amplifier needed (but can handle one)
  4. Detailed
  5. 3.5mm plug or equivalent adapter
Preferably New, but used would be alright. Also, I eventually plan to purchase the RSA Shadow (when released) or the RSA Predator soon- I may have Germania build me a custom Amp for the time being.

Hit me with your best shot guys- I'm a newbie really looking to get into the Full Size headphones. Any suggestions, questions, or comments are also welcome!

I hope this post not only helps me, bu other people out there as well.

Thank you,

65767541.png

Spencer D. AKA Rez

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Under $300 brand new, or used the the boards?

Preferably new, but I'm ok with the used if still in good condition.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 24
You can get the Denon AH-D2000 (which I own and is honestly the first pair of full size cans I actually love) for around $200 on the for sale forums and it's big brother (AH-D5000) for under $300.

As for new, I am newer to the full size market so I can only suggest what I know and that is Grado, Denon, and Sennheiser but for me it was the Denon's

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 24
Alright, here we go:

Portable:

Since the request was sans amp, I'll assume these will see some portable use. Your best choices that I have owned or used extensively (and can therefore recommend) are:

1)ATH-ESW9 stylish, compact, excellent sounding, and excellent resale value. You can find them under $300 used.
2) Sennheiser HD25-I II -- durable as all hell, replaceable cables, industry standard. Very nice cans.

Less portable:

Maybe you don't need to take these anywhere. The following would serve you well:

1) ATH-AD900 -- sound great, very comfortable.
2) Beyerdynamic DT770 pro -- Well liked around here. I enjoy them, and find them reasonably neutral, though with a little extra bass and lower midrange warmth.
3) Sennheiser HD 595 -- A well-loved pair of portable-possible headphones that are the definition of "don't require an amp, but benefit from one". Enjoyable sound signature.
4) Grado Sr-225i -- My top recommendation here. Grado sound is unlike anything else, and these are the epitome of Grado sound. In-your-face, exciting, and live sounding.

Now keep in mind, all the best full-size headphones require an amp. "The best without an amp" is an inherently compromised category. When you eventually do shell out some cash to buy an amp, you might find your headphones lacking.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now keep in mind, all the best full-size headphones require an amp. "The best without an amp" is an inherently compromised category. When you eventually do shell out some cash to buy an amp, you might find your headphones lacking.

I eventually plan to purchase the RSA Shadow (when released) or the Predator soon- I may have Germania build me a custom Amp for the time being.

BTW- Great selection of Cans- I'm very interested in the Grado's. I heard a pair at my last meet and they intrigued me. Can you tell me a little more about them?

Spencer D.

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 24
I definitely can, sir. They're one of my all-time favorites.

If you heard them at a meet, you know a lot of what there is to know. They sound "alive" in a way few other things do. The 225s are compatible with multiple different earpads, which change the presentation of the music immensely. They also sound really excellent right out of an iPod, which is a plus.

The 225s, the SR60s, and the RS-1s are the sweet spots in the normal lineup.

HOWEVER! Worth noting is that, if you can stretch the budget to $430, you can buy a new pair of Grado HF-2 headphones. Only for head-fi members, and they're almost sold out. You would need to literally order today, and wait a few months, but they sound fantastic, and they're extremely unique.

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 24
Don't think I have the scratch available for the HF-2's. Oh Well. Definitely interested in the 225's however.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 24
If you do go with the Grado 225i's order some flat pads for them from TTVJ. When I had my 225's I thought they sounded best with the flat pads. The flat pads gave more bass to the 225's which I liked but you sacraficed what little soundstage and airyness they had with the bowls. They definitely have their own sound.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 24
Neither of those are terribly useful without an amp, ffrr.

The grados are colored, sure, but he's not recording with them.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do go with the Grado 225i's order some flat pads for them from TTVJ. When I had my 225's I thought they sounded best with the flat pads. The flat pads gave more bass to the 225's which I liked but you sacraficed what little soundstage and airyness they had with the bowls. They definitely have their own sound.

My sister, Germania, tells me that the Grado 225i's wouldn't suit me very well. I have been doing some research on them and do agree to a point.

What do you guys think of the Denon AH-D2000's?

Spencer D.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #15 of 24
ATH-M40s. I like them even more than my AD900s (and I love my AD900s!)
They outperform all of the phones I have owned so far, including D5000s and (of course) K701s.
The incredible part is that they only cost $60!

Try them, and you will instantly realize that buying something more expensive is a complete waste of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back