Best full sized headphones under $200 for punk rock / rock / acoustic music (currently on Etymotic HF5 and Sennheiser HD598)
Apr 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

i44p6NinS7fj5ka

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

Looking for some full-sized headphones to listen to music in the confort of my home, I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD598, because of the great reviews I was reading everywhere. As it turns out, the confort is fantastic, but I have mixed feeling regarding the sound. The acoustic stuff I'm listening to sounds really clear and precise, and I have absolutely no complain about that part. Indie rock (Razorlight) and folk (Off monsters and men) stuff also sounds really nice to me.

But when I switch to some more agressive stuff and distorted guitars kick in (Lagwagon, Biffy Clyro, NOFX, etc.), I feel like the HD598 fails to restitute clear and crisp electric guitars. When hot switching between an old pair of HD201 and my brand new HD598, I tend to prefer the HD201's (that are about 10 times cheaper by the way...).

That was a bit of context !

Let's get on with my question :)

Assuming that

- I don't like bass heavy headphones, I like the bass to be delicate and precise
- I listen to stuff from NOFX to Bob Dylan (no hip-hop / pop / electro or any other "modern" stuff)
- I have a pair of Etymotic HF5 paired with custom-fit ear molds and I LOVE how they sound
- My main focus is how guitar and vocals sound
- And I love having a great level of detail in the sound I'm listening

What headphones would you guys recommend (open of closed) to listen to my music at home ?

NB : I'm willing to spend up to $200

Thanks everyone for your recommendations !

Apr 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 11
  Hi everyone,

Looking for some full-sized headphones to listen to music in the confort of my home, I recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD598, because of the great reviews I was reading everywhere. As it turns out, the confort is fantastic, but I have mixed feeling regarding the sound. The acoustic stuff I'm listening to sounds really clear and precise, and I have absolutely no complain about that part. Indie rock (Razorlight) and folk (Off monsters and men) stuff also sounds really nice to me.

But when I switch to some more agressive stuff and distorted guitars kick in (Lagwagon, Biffy Clyro, NOFX, etc.), I feel like the HD598 fails to restitute clear and crisp electric guitars. When hot switching between an old pair of HD201 and my brand new HD598, I tend to prefer the HD201's (that are about 10 times cheaper by the way...).

That was a bit of context !

Let's get on with my question :)

Assuming that

- I don't like bass heavy headphones, I like the bass to be delicate and precise
- I listen to stuff from NOFX to Bob Dylan (no hip-hop / pop / electro or any other "modern" stuff)
- I have a pair of Etymotic HF5 paired with custom-fit ear molds and I LOVE how they sound

What headphones would you guys recommend (open of closed) to listen to my music at home ?

NB : I'm willing to spend up to $200

Thanks everyone for your recommendations !

How important is the soundstage to you? And when you say you are primarily interested in how guitars (and vocals) sound, do you mean specifically and mostly distorted guitars?

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Hi and thanks for answering.

I'd love to have a great soundstage, but it's not capital to me since I don't listen to much stuff where soundstage is vital.

As for guitars, I would say both : I'd like electric distorted guitars to sound crisp and vibrant, but also acoustic guitars to sound properly.

Apr 18, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 11
The Soundmagic HP150 comes to mind immediately, as does the AKG K550 and the K545 (more bass, smaller soundstage than the K550 and more portable). The K553 is a newer iteration that has been on Massdrop for $145 shipped in recent weeks. Quite a buy. You might read about all of those. I would stay away from the DT770, as I feel it is too v-shaped for your tastes, but that's just me. YMMV. You might also look at a Grado, renowned for their incredible guitar tones. The SR225e might be a good fit and its priced within your budget (barely). If you want to stretch your budget, the Philips Fidelio X2 is a very, very good can that you would no doubt love. There are threads for most of these cans on the full-size headphone forum where you can learn some more about them. As you no doubt know, the Grados and the X2 are open, like your 598, and the first four I suggested you look at are closed. If there is any way for you to try some of these out, that is best. Otherwise, amazon is a good choice, since you can easily return cans you decide you don't like. Good luck!!

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 11

Assuming that

If you can use a supra aural earpad and isolation isn't a problem, Grado SR225e. It's not as neutral as the HF5, but anything that involves something along the lines of a Les Paul and  a Marshall sounds fantastic through these (for the price anyway). Just wear them a little forward of the ear canals (the rear of the earpads along the earlobes) to prevent having them firing directly into them (which tends to make the soundstage a bit too forward and everything coming at you all at once) and it'll be great.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 11
You owe it to yourself to try some grados if you are a rock fan. Give the SR80e a try
smily_headphones1.gif

+1

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Hey everyone and thanks for all these great replies.

I've been looking at the AKG K550's lately, there are several great deals on these on the interwebs (around $100 to $120). Has everyone tried them, would they suit my needs ? They seem to be great all-arounders.

I'd love to give the Grados a listen, does anyone know how versatile these are ? Would they sound clear and precise on the more laid-back acoustic stuff I listen to ?

As for the other recommendations you guys made, most of them are either unavailable in Europe, or way above my price point.

Thanks again !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back