Best Full Sized Headphone for Unamped Portable Use ?
Jul 6, 2006 at 4:35 PM Post #16 of 25
I don't recommend the HD595 for portable use. It isn't the most durable, and it hemorrhages sound like no tomorrow.

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #17 of 25
I am happy with my KSC-35's - Ipod combo. Maybe with that budget u should get a ksc/recabled/amp. Consider all those options..I am assuming u don't want max portability since ur asking for full size headphones.

Also often suggested..take ur ipod to a store that lets u demo headphones..and see what works out with ur music taste best, cuz like u noticed everyone is recommending a billion different headphones, mainly cuz they tried it and it worked out for their type of music/taste.
good luck.

Jul 6, 2006 at 5:36 PM Post #18 of 25
ATH-ES7

Jul 6, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #19 of 25
actually...what do you mean by over the ear? something like a earclip/behind the neck kind? or are you talking about the pads covering "around" the ears but not pressing on your ear? or are you actually referring to ver the head (headband)
confused.gif
anyway, the grados are supra-aural (not circumaural) and I'd recommend the lower end grados if you think they're portable enough for you. alternatively, the ksc75...which is supra-aural and over the ear (clip on).

Jul 6, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #20 of 25
Closed and under $200?? Beyer DT770-80s.

I would go for the HD595s for sound quality but not really for communting in my case.

Jul 7, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #21 of 25
If you're looking for over-the-ear headphones for comfort, then ignore my recommendation.

But if you're looking for over-the-ear headphones for isolation, I'd recommend the AKG k81dj's. They're my favorite headphones, and they isolate better, actually, than my Beyer 250-80's.

Jul 8, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #23 of 25
Like others have said, the HD595 is an excellent choice under the right circumstances but it you need isolation, forget it. Someone brought up durability, but mine have been quite durable without my having taken any great pains to ensure their continued health.

Jul 8, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #24 of 25
isolation is not a big concern as most use is indoors. comfort and overall sound with nice bass is what's most important here.
i like the new AKG's, 501,601, but looks to be too hard to drive for portable use.

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dijohn
Anyone tried the Audio Technica a500's. They seem similar to the 900's for a little less money.

IMO A500s are best <$100 headphones. But I didn't recommend just because they're huge and not recommended for outdoor use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back