Best full-size headphones for electric guitar-focused songs?
Aug 4, 2020 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aviusmc

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have a favorite when it comes to really bringing electric guitar to life? I haven't really set a budget for myself, so I'm just curious to hear about the experiences you guys have had. I'm probably looking for open headphones.

Really all I listen to is Buckethead, so I'll post a few links to the type of songs I generally like. I really love the echoey ambience when I'm listening alone. Although he has some really crunchy-sounding songs that I love to jam out to also.

(crunchy:ksc75smile:)

Stuff like that makes me feel more emotion than any other music, so I'm looking for headphones to really bring out the emotionality, and I'll probably just get an amp to match the headphones.

I hope someone has some input, thanks guys.:relaxed:

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Not sure what your budget is, but here's a few reasonably-priced options that do guitar work some serious justice.
Open back - Sennheiser HD 58X
Closed back - Meze 99 Noir (use the alternative small set of pads).
If you have more cash burning a hole in your pocket, take a look at the Audio Technica ath-wp900. The lesser expensive ath-Msr7b is also a fine option, as is the Hifiman he400i.

Aug 4, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #3 of 9
HiFiMan HE400i,absolutely recommended!!!

Aug 5, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Not sure what your budget is, but here's a few reasonably-priced options that do guitar work some serious justice.
Open back - Sennheiser HD 58X
Closed back - Meze 99 Noir (use the alternative small set of pads).
If you have more cash burning a hole in your pocket, take a look at the Audio Technica ath-wp900. The lesser expensive ath-Msr7b is also a fine option, as is the Hifiman he400i.
Yeah I'm not too worried about the budget, so these look worth some research. Thanks for the suggestions!
HiFiMan HE400i,absolutely recommended!!!
Cool, another recommendation for the HE400i. Thanks, I'm definitely going to look into that one.:grin:

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Most of the headphones in my collection do well with guitars. I listen to a lot of rock. Relaxed upper mids/lower treble takes some of the harsh bite out. You don't hear the pick attack or string buzz as more forward than the primary crunch of the tube distortion.

Aug 5, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #6 of 9
Best full-size headphones for electric guitar-focused songs?

I don't have Satriani on all the time but I had the HD600 since 2010. Still using it.

1596620383983.png

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 9
It's hard to beat a good Grado when it comes to guitar - acoustic or electric. There's something about a Grado where the inherent distortion in the headphone enhances guitar music, not detracts from it. You'll need to get something like a PS500 or RS2, minimum, however. Lower-level Grados, while they all have that Grado-guitar affinity, lack bass and the treble spike can be overwhelming sometimes.

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 9
I second the Grado suggestion they just love rock guitar. Actually thinking of selling my RS1’s as I have been thinking of thinning the herd. Another oldie but goodie is the AKG K240 Sextetts they just love Rock music but one downside is they are pretty hard to drive so you will definitely need a fairly stout amp for them as they are 600 ohm and 92 dB in sensitivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back