Best full-size headphone for classical without amp?
Sep 11, 2015 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shuanggao

Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I want to buy a pair of headphones mainly for classical musics, sometimes jazz and bluegrass maybe.

With a marantz cd5005, I prefer using its phone-out than buying an independent amp.

I also did some works, is T70P or Q701a good choice? Or there is some thing even better.

I feel so grateful if you could share experiences and good recommends.

Thanks!

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 7
If you google keywords classical headphone head-fi, you should find threads where people discuss what they think is best for classical.

That being said, I think it also depends on personal preference. In other words, to me, the appropriate headphones sound signature is more about my individual tastes than the genre. But not everyone agrees with that :)

The headphone output for your Marantz is listed as 18 mW/32 ohms. That's pretty weak, more like a phone. Best to stick to very efficient headphones. That's going to limit you greatly. No. Q701s absolutely would not do well with that. The T70P should do pretty well.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 7
Thank you for your kind advice.
As googled classical headphone, some people said senn's HD598 is a good choice. What do you think?

I'm the wrong one to ask for such a genre specific recommendation (see my previous post). But I do agree that the HD598 is a great all around open headphone at it's price. Could be worth ordering from Amazon. If you don't like it, the return postage would be a reasonable demo fee. And then you would have a good headphone that other people know for saying what you like/don't like so they could offer other suggestions :)

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 7
I agree with the T70p's for the classical because they're really bright headphones (they were also my first higher end headphone I ever purchased). They're super detail oriented and will suck every note and put a spot light on it so be warned if you don't have higher tier audio files. However I don't they they're awesome with lower mid to bass music like some jazz music will be if they've a sax. The sennheiser will do much better with that for they generally have wonderful mids to basslines with highs not really being affected to much.

My personal favorite are the Bowers and Wilkins P7 for their stunning mids and comfortingly warm bass. They do really well with anything I play and are comfortable to wear for 5+ hours (which I do frequently). They're also super easy to drive and isolate well if you travel. Not my most expensive headphones I own by far but still my favorite.

What price point are you wanting to stay around? THe T70p are around 4-5 with the 598 going for 150-160

Users who are viewing this thread

Back