Best Full Size for mobile use
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 24
I hope I know what you mean by source. I'm planning on using my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I know its not gonna be the best quality. If I was planning on buying an amp, what would you recommend? My main worry with buying an amp is this. Will a 200 dollar set of cans with a 100 dollar amp be better than a 300 dollar headset without?

I have a Note 2, and I did the headphone amp mod on XDA: for turning up the headphone amp gain. I used the Normal mod increase option (I think it's 6db or so), and it definitely helps with driving my Grado SR225i and AKG K550 better. The gain settings that Samsung implemented on their headphone amp seem a little anemic.

Do my headphones benefit from more amplification with the Note 2? For moderately loud listening volumes no. With the headphone amp mod, I no longer have to turn it quite all the way up. So I have amps that I never use.

The AKG K550 do sound good with the Note 2. As far as portability, I agree with BillsonChang007. If you are going to be moving around a lot while wearing them, not a good choice because it's easy to break the seal. If you want them for commuting or other uses where you will generally be sitting, I don't think it's a problem. They are a little big and bulky for packing in a backpack, but the build quality seems durable enough for portable use (unlike my Grados).

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 24
The best full size: PSB M4U 1 (better IMO than momentum, 1r, k550, and I would go on)

The best closed overall would be the KEF M500 IMO.

If your looking for bass, the next best is ATH WS99.

Aug 7, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #20 of 24
The K550 has a sliiightly better soundstage width etc., but IMO the M4U 1 has better impact, timbre, PRaT, sub-bass.....You name it. I just enjoy and can lose myself in the music more. Some find the fit uncomfortable, but they disappear on my head.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Aug 7, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #21 of 24
The K550 has a sliiightly better soundstage width etc., but IMO the M4U 1 has better impact, timbre, PRaT, sub-bass.....You name it. I just enjoy and can lose myself in the music more. Some find the fit uncomfortable, but they disappear on my head.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I second his opinion!

Aug 9, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 24
You made a wonderful choice. The psb m4u is the best closed FULL SIZED can ive heard, though I ever so slightly prefer the kef m500. The psb is very comfortable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back