Best Full Size for mobile use
Jul 13, 2013 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

killmyignorance

New Head-Fier
Alright. I have no experience with high quality headphones but here is what I think I know. For use from my phone I'm looking for low Ohms. I also know that I need sealed/closed back. That's it. Lol you might see why I need help. I listen to everything from Bach to Drake. My price range is 350 and I really, really don't want to have an amp in my pocket all the time.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #2 of 24
There aren't really any full sized headphones that don't benefit from an amplifier, are you opposed to trying something like the Sennheiser momentum? That's probably the one of the best options you're going to get for portability at $350.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 24
There aren't really any full sized headphones that don't benefit from an amplifier, are you opposed to trying something like the Sennheiser momentum? That's probably the one of the best options you're going to get for portability at $350.
I've been hearing a lot about the AKG K551? And I get that it would benefit from an amp greatly but would it still sound good?

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 24
Hello!

Firstly, the AKG K550 sound "good" without an amp but with any warmer amp it sound "excellent"! Without an amp, it might sound way too think for portable use. Also, you for portable, I would not recommend the AKG K550 as it is extremely big and most of us may not get good seal which may led to leakage of sound as well as lack of bass.

Momentum on the other hand, is a perfect piece of headphone for portable use but it is too small that it feels more like an on - ear than over-ear but the clamping force is not as bad as most on ears so it's pretty comfortable but if you wanted something with good seal, portable and sound great with all genre of music, you are better off looking into the PSB M4U1! It sound as good as K550 but soundstage are lacking behind a lil bit only

Hope this helps!
Billson :D

Jul 13, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 24
Hello!

Firstly, the AKG K550 sound "good" without an amp but with any warmer amp it sound "excellent"! Without an amp, it might sound way too think for portable use. Also, you for portable, I would not recommend the AKG K550 as it is extremely big and most of us may not get good seal which may led to leakage of sound as well as lack of bass.

Momentum on the other hand, is a perfect piece of headphone for portable use but it is too small that it feels more like an on - ear than over-ear but the clamping force is not as bad as most on ears so it's pretty comfortable but if you wanted something with good seal, portable and sound great with all genre of music, you are better off looking into the PSB M4U1! It sound as good as K550 but soundstage are lacking behind a lil bit only

Hope this helps!
Billson :D
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm still trying to get a feel for whats out there. If I were to buy an amp, would your recomendation change drastically? My main worry about that is if I do buy an amp and a pair of headphones will it really be better sounding than a more expensive set of cans?

Jul 13, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 24
Thank you so much for your reply! I'm still trying to get a feel for whats out there. If I were to buy an amp, would your recomendation change drastically? My main worry about that is if I do buy an amp and a pair of headphones will it really be better sounding than a more expensive set of cans?

Not all headphones will benefit from an amp. Pairing with an amp will only give the most out of a headphone by providing extra power/voltage. At your price range, the only closed headphone I can think of that requires an amp would be AKG K550.

That is because, some DAP like iPod Nano 3rd, iPhone (Original) can't really drive the AKG K550. 1) There's no sound at all with iNano 3rd. 2) It sound bass roll off, thin with the iPhone (Original). It sound pretty good with my iPhone 4 but still pairing with an amp would help.

If you do not like amp at all for portable use(like me), I would suggest you to go for the PSB M4U1. It's really the same thing, as the K550. Is just that, the soundstage is very little bit smaller, but in return, the imaging and instrument separation is extremely good.

May I know what source are you using?

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 24
Not all headphones will benefit from an amp. Pairing with an amp will only give the most out of a headphone by providing extra power/voltage. At your price range, the only closed headphone I can think of that requires an amp would be AKG K550.

That is because, some DAP like iPod Nano 3rd, iPhone (Original) can't really drive the AKG K550. 1) There's no sound at all with iNano 3rd. 2) It sound bass roll off, thin with the iPhone (Original). It sound pretty good with my iPhone 4 but still pairing with an amp would help.

If you do not like amp at all for portable use(like me), I would suggest you to go for the PSB M4U1. It's really the same thing, as the K550. Is just that, the soundstage is very little bit smaller, but in return, the imaging and instrument separation is extremely good.

May I know what source are you using?
I hope I know what you mean by source. I'm planning on using my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I know its not gonna be the best quality. If I was planning on buying an amp, what would you recommend? My main worry with buying an amp is this. Will a 200 dollar set of cans with a 100 dollar amp be better than a 300 dollar headset without?

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 24
I hope I know what you mean by source. I'm planning on using my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. I know its not gonna be the best quality. If I was planning on buying an amp, what would you recommend? My main worry with buying an amp is this. Will a 200 dollar set of cans with a 100 dollar amp be better than a 300 dollar headset without?

If i was choosing a portable amp i think i would go for one of the Fiio's they have all different kinds of models anywhere from 20 to 100 dollars. For portable use i think something like the V-moda M100 would probably if you like bass, if not maybe something like a sony mdr-1r.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #9 of 24
100 amp + 200 headphone and 300 headphone comparison can be very subjective at times but usually, the 300 will do better if it can be driven easily like the M4U1.

Ahhhh....Note 2! Shouldn't be a problem to drive the K550 anymore XD

Billson :)

Jul 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
I've been hearing a lot about the AKG K551? And I get that it would benefit from an amp greatly but would it still sound good?

The AKG K550 is better the 551 is kind of dumb, the cord is shorter and thinner but they put a huge plug on it.

I'd say Momentum's>M100 (if you like bass)>K550>UE6000's for cheaper, for the price they score higher

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 24
AKG K550 and K551 are the same thing! It is just that K551 are more targeted for portable with shorter cable, in line control and more colorful colors for the housing.

I would say AKG K550 > Sennheiser Momentum > UE6000 in terms of sound

In terms of price ratio to performance: UE 6000 > AKG K550 > Sennheiser Momentum

UE6k's extra active - NC at low price is hard to beat xD

Billson :)

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 24
You could also consider headphones that already have an amp built into them - these spring to mind:
PSB Speakers M4U2
Logitech UE9000
Parrot Zik

Or you could consider very low impedance versions of full size headphones
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 32 Ohm
AKG K551
AKG K267
Ultrasone HFI-780

and so on.

This also depends on your source device. Some modern smartphones (eg HTC One) already have a built in amplifier for the headphone jack and provide considerably better output to the headphones than a Samsung Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5 would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back