Best Full-Size Closed Headphones that
Jan 30, 2018 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bykhoff

Head-Fier
do not require an amp to sound great (relatively speaking)? Best was probably the wrong term for my thread title.

I have Hifiman 400i's paired with the iFi DSD. However I've come to the conclusion that, for me, convenience trumps that extra increase in sound quality. Getting my amp out of it's case each time and connecting it is just a hassle. Sometimes you just want to take your headphones connect them to whatever you are listening from (laptop, dap, phone) and have fun.

What would you guys suggest in the 250-500 range? I'm guessing closed? Maybe Mezze 99 Classics? Any advice would be most appreciated. I like a flat sound profile that maybe favor the bass slightly. I listen to classical music and some jazz, mostly.

P.S. Sorry if this has been asked a billion times.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Iems do fine without amplification, but for headphones I think that Grados are the only good headphone that approach their full potential without amplification. In your price range, SR225. Forget closed headphones unless you need to stop sound leakage, they all suffer in sound quality imo.

Jan 31, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #4 of 10
If you like a mellow sound the Grados might not be for you.. I also can't say anything bad about the Meze 99 headphones, I haven't heard them and people do like them. About portable use and amplification, you could really settle this by a/b testing them in a store between an amp/stereo and your portable phone/source to see if you can hear a big difference. Head-fiers can sometimes overstate the importance of an amp, many great headphones still sound good plugged into a phone. If you do notice a difference and don't like it, you can always get a portable amp. I mostly use iems out my phone because I also don't like to be tied to the rig, but they are not as comfortable as headphones. Good luck!

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 10
+1 for the meze 99's.

Sound is phenomenal, nothing really to dislike; very fun.

Only caveat is if you have large ears and dont like things resting on them. Theyre on the smallish side : between on and around ear for me.

Feb 5, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 10
I haven't owned, but did demo the AQ night owl carbon aswell. Very good design and ergo and more space in the cups than the meze's but a little on the snug size for my ears.

For me the MrSpeakers Aeon flow are better in every way: large enough and more comfortable without being huge, and while the night owls where totally unoffensive, I found the Aeons to be much more technically proficient: clarity, resolution,balance all sounded like a step up to me.

I have the Aeon opens, but I dont think that the closed are too radically different asside from actually being closer to the harmon target response.

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 10
One of the best Closed-Back headphones I've heard in a long time that hits way above their price point are the Status Audio CB-1. They run around $80 but I got a like new open box model for $44 from Status Audios eBay store on a whim just to try them out( I think I was Drinking Scotch at the time lol). I was so impressed I still have them in my collection, I like them that much. Just my .02 Hope this Helps :)

Lasher

Feb 7, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Chime in with the Night Owl and Aeon closed. It's really a matter of personal preference between the two, with the Night Owl being a lot warmer and musical than the Aeon to my ears, while certainly not lacking in clarity and detail. The Night Owl however, does not seem to like tube amps-at all. You're looking for something that sounds great without amplification, so you're good.

The Aeon has a lot less "weight" to the sound than the Night Owl-again, you may prefer that and if you do you may prefer its sound. The Nightowl is a lot easier to drive and I personally think the Aeon is really borderline as far as a no-amp solution.

Feb 9, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 10
Chime in with the Night Owl and Aeon closed. It's really a matter of personal preference between the two, with the Night Owl being a lot warmer and musical than the Aeon to my ears, while certainly not lacking in clarity and detail. The Night Owl however, does not seem to like tube amps-at all. You're looking for something that sounds great without amplification, so you're good.

The Aeon has a lot less "weight" to the sound than the Night Owl-again, you may prefer that and if you do you may prefer its sound. The Nightowl is a lot easier to drive and I personally think the Aeon is really borderline as far as a no-amp solution.

I think thats a fair break down of the difference in sound. Between the two. Also, good call on the the need from the op for them to be unamped; I forgot that.

The Aeons absolutely benefit from an amp and are NOT easy to drive. In comparison to hd650's which have a rep of needing an amp,. I found the Aeons to need 10-15% more on the volume knob to reach the same loudness as the hd650 in a/b testing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back