Best frequency response for gaming
Mar 31, 2021 at 5:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Avean

100+ Head-Fier
I came across an article about what is the sweet spot for frequency response in gaming, and it is from 12Hz to a max of 28Khz. Above 28Khz and you get noise pollution. Now my Sennheiser HD700 are way above that, mine goes up to 42Khz max.
Anyone know the technical reason behind this if its true? Never heard about this before.

Source:
https://www.myunidays.com/US/en-US/...er is too soft,overthink the numbers too much.

Mar 31, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 5
If you have the fresh ears of a 16 year old, you can hear up to 20khz. He’s saying that you want the range to include 20hz to 20 kHz at least, to include the entire range of human hearing. It’s not a problem to have a headphones range beyond that.

Apr 22, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 5
It's not just that the human ear can't hear sounds above 20 kHz. Most recording devices won't record above 20 kHz as well, anything beyond that tends to be noise, according to this recording engineer.

For gaming headphones, it seems to me that they aren't particularly focused on frequency response, but rather on how to make certain sounds more prominent. For example, some headphones claimed optimised for CSGO deliberately boost certain frequency ranges, i.e., boosting 125Hz to make footsteps more prominent; slightly boosting 32Hz to 125Hz to make footsteps and knife swipes clearer; a slight boost in the highs from 4kHz to 8kHz balances the gunshots with the previously boosted parts; and a slight boost in the high frequencies at 16kHz makes bullet impacts easier to distinguish. When you're using your HD700 to play games, even though the frequency response on the curve is way better than those of gaming headphones, the effect may not be as pronounced as gaming headphones. That's the reason behind it.

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 5
Footsteps in games are 400hz to 1600hz depending on surface and footwear. As an avid gamer, it's the thing that matters when you're in a building on end of a hallway waiting for some sounds to tell you a person is coming. Most games are played in an arena or small map (compared to PVE) so hearing gunfire is pretty much a given on anything. Imaging is next with left and right channel matching for accuracy. I have 3 pairs of the Sennheiser HD700 so I know them really well :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 5
I came across an article about what is the sweet spot for frequency response in gaming, and it is from 12Hz to a max of 28Khz. Above 28Khz and you get noise pollution. Now my Sennheiser HD700 are way above that, mine goes up to 42Khz max.
Anyone know the technical reason behind this if its true? Never heard about this before.

Source:
https://www.myunidays.com/US/en-US/blog/article/4-reasons-why-choosing-the-right-headset-helps-improve-competitive-gaming#:~:text=Anything lower is too soft,overthink the numbers too much.
I'm late(in the game...), but I have 2 things to say:

1/ Headphone brands usually don't give a frequency response range, and those who do, totally do it as a marketing trick to impress with nothing. You usually won't find how they came up with those numbers, which is never a good sign for alleged objective data. I bet they don't mean what you think they do, and that's kind of the point, I think.

So before even discussing what would be the best numbers for gaming, I argue that frequency response range on headphone specs is pretty much worthless.

2/ the guy who wrote the article didn't seem to have a clue about what having a reduced frequency range from the headphone does to the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back