Best free email service?
May 13, 2002 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dcg

Became Capt. Napalm tocombat apartment robberies!
The folks at G-town let us keep our school email addy's after we graduate but they have to be forwarded to another address. So, in the next few days I need to pick one. Should I just grab a yahoo or hotmail address or is there something else I should consider?

May 13, 2002 at 3:55 AM Post #2 of 25
I use both hotmail and yahoo mail.

yahoo gives you 4 MB of free space while hotmail only gives you 2 MB of free space.

I like Yahoo mail better because it doesn't send me to an annoying web page that takes forever to load after signing off. Hotmail on the other hand sends you directly to msn web site after signing off which takes forever to load (yes, 1 second wait is too long for me).

I rarely used my hotmail account and I already got a lot of spam on it. I use my yahoo account a lot and I have recieved very little spam.

If I were you, sign up for both and see which one you don't like. They automatically cancel your email account if there is no activity for like 30 days.

May 13, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 25
I hate to support microsoft, but i really do like hotmail, especially since I have a microsoft keyboard, when you press the email button, it logs you directly into your email.

May 13, 2002 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 25
Someone suggested fastmail to me when Fastmail was still free. Now they charge and I'm ok with that because the service and reliability are good and the speed is consistent. They do https, when they're down there's a notice and it's backup within 5 minutes, none of my emails get lost or bounce and I have no problems downloading via Opermail or accessing via the web--there's no ads, etc.

Sometimes things are worth paying for.

May 13, 2002 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 25
All the big "free" email accounts have spamming problems, with MSN being the absolute worse. Within two days of opening a MSN account I was getting a large number of spam email. I have not been back since. I'm told Yahoo also has a spamming problem but not as bad as MSN.

May 13, 2002 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 25
I use Yahoo! Mail and have never been spammed.

Protect your address online by altering what you post in spider-able parts of the Internet. For me, such an address would look something like the following: tanfenton at yahoo dot com, tanfenton @ yahoo.com.nospam, or tanfenton@yahoo.nospam.

It's simple, and it works.

NGF

May 13, 2002 at 2:09 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
Use softhome -- http://www.softhome.net

It's the best, least corporate, most reliable, and most spacious!! You get 30MB of storage which is much more than those others.

I've been using softhome for years and it has worked very well, whether as webmail or using a client.

I'll second this recommendation. I have set up about a dozen people on Softhome over the last 4 years with zero problems.

May 13, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 25
Hotmail blows, you get an insane amount of spam instantly...

I'm going to have to third the Softhome rec, my account is very old, 2-3 years, and I still get no spam from it...

Though if you use a mac, the mac.com email is quite good too.

May 13, 2002 at 8:31 PM Post #11 of 25
I must be lucky, because I have two Hotmail accounts and one Yahoo account, and I get very little spam.

May 14, 2002 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 25
I third the MyRealBox.com suggestion. My friend's been using them for a long while, and I don't think he's gotten any SPAM. An idle account on Yahoo that I have for only private messages to friends/family on the other hand was flooded with spam when I checked the account after not using it for a few months.

MyRealBox supposedly has really good SPAM filters, and they have a strict policy against using the accounts for SPAM (they'll charge you if they find you violating the policy).

So far my account on MyRealBox has been activated for about 2 months, and I haven't received a single unsolicited e-mail. Looks like a keeper if you don't need a POP3 accessible account.

May 14, 2002 at 3:20 PM Post #14 of 25
Actually, I have myrealbox working using an email client.
smily_headphones1.gif

pop.myrealbox.com
smtp.myrealbox.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back