Best Free Antivirus
Jan 20, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #46 of 59
Yes, that is correct.

As I said earlier, I won't detail what I did years ago. I do not posses classified information because I do not have an active security clearance.

Submit an application to the National Security Agency yourself if you are a US citizen and your parents are US citizens as well. You will learn more about their hiring cycle.

I hate to say it, but our government has hired drunks, bankrupted individuals, petty thieves, turncoats, spies within, and idiots to lead and run our country. Yet, we are a great nation in spite of these mishaps in character or judgment.

I will tell you this: I am going to pursue my ambitions to work for the NSA. If it does not work for me, then I will find another suitable employer for my skill set and experiences.

I have been told to re-apply with stronger qualifications and credentials. I will follow their advice.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #47 of 59
Anyone who wants to read more about Ubuntu/Linux security, here are some good starters.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/security

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #48 of 59
That's just more stuff about viruses and spyware.  They are written for Windows because that is what is mainly used in the world.

I know all about who the government wants to hire.  They would rather hire someone with little IQ and easily corruptible than someone who stands up for morals.  The more of these idiot soldiers they get in their fight the worse it's going to be when tyranny fully comes soon.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #49 of 59
I am intimately familiar with computer security for GNU/Linux especially regarding Ubuntu and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

While reading forum threads created by concerned individuals on how to harden a specific operating system are good for beginners, it is nothing compared to having earned an advanced degree on the subject matter or worked for companies that develop computer security solutions. This is my hope for my future.

Again, I am not trying to sound condescending to anyone who uses GNU/Linux. I use it for production myself. I just find it limited in terms of features set compared to what is available on the Microsoft Windows operating system. This is just my opinion.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #50 of 59

Quote:
I know all about who the government wants to hire.  They would rather hire someone with little IQ and easily corruptible than someone who stands up for morals.  The more of these idiot soldiers they get in their fight the worse it's going to be when tyranny fully comes soon.

You are free to live in another country, you know.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #52 of 59
I have to suggest against Avira. Not only has it failed to detect multiple problems it also returns false positives - anything encoded in Xenocode for instance returns a false positive. I used Avira for years and have recently stopped.

I've had pretty good success with Rkill/Malwarebytes so far.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #53 of 59
I work for the Computer Services department of my university as a student technician, and we provide a free subscription of Symantec Endpoint Protection for our faculty, staff, and students. When diagnosing and removing viruses and other malware, we make extensive use of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. For non-students and everyone else, I recommend (and use personally) Microsoft Security Essentials, as it has worked well for me during the last several years.

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #54 of 59
SEP is still heavyweight, and more importantly frequently the primary cause of system instability for no good reason. I'd read a lot of reviews outlining Symantec's new lightweight approach to AM/AV and in actual use I have to conclude that they're shills.

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #55 of 59
Windows has McAfee (Free through AT&T), used AVG but it started slowing down a lot, Avast was kinda clunky but it worked pretty well, and recently I was using Comodo
Mac has nothing
OpenSUSE/Ubuntu/Fedora had nothing

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #56 of 59

Quote:
SEP is still heavyweight, and more importantly frequently the primary cause of system instability for no good reason. I'd read a lot of reviews outlining Symantec's new lightweight approach to AM/AV and in actual use I have to conclude that they're shills.

I didn't say I liked the program, just that it is what my university provides. 
frown.gif
  I agree with your above statement. Before they provided us with Symantec, they provided us with McAffee (even worse, from my experience). The best defense against malware is still knowing exactly what you are downloading and running on your computer.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #58 of 59
Lookie here: You live somewhere, you complain against the management (government). There are two things that you can do (three sometimes): Suck it up or get out (in a democratic jurisdiction, you can also protest and write letters). Due to the fact that I am fed up with sucking it up, I got out of PRC. But if you ain't got money to leave then that's another issue. That I can understand.

Jan 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #59 of 59
The average person doesn't have the money to move to a different place locally, much less relocate to a different country.  Anyone with enough money to do so shouldn't even be complaining about anything, anyway.  Writing letters does nothing whatsoever.  What do you do when you get a bill you don't want to pay, or a letter you don't want to read, or just general junk mail?  You throw it away.  Protesting is becoming illegal, long before it becomes violent.  The authorities are usually the trigger of the violence, arresting someone for saying something too far what social standards, or blowing bubbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back