Best format for ripping CD's
Dec 25, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #16 of 59
Which website is the best to find EAC? Please don't let it be one with many adverts and junk.

Haali's media splitter is pretty interesting too.

Dec 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM Post #17 of 59
Click this to download eac I think you won't find any adverts or junk
biggrin.gif

Read this if your AV goes beserk

Dec 25, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #18 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which website is the best to find EAC? Please don't let it be one with many adverts and junk.

Haali's media splitter is pretty interesting too.

I would say http://download.digital-world.de, following the link at the EAC website.

Dec 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 59
There are 2 reasons I like about dbPowerAmp over EAC and one thing I like better about EAC.

For dbPowerAmp, I like that it accesses more metadata databases than just freedb. freedb doesn't have all of my CDs and the tags for classical are horrible. The access to the best databases does come with an annual fee, but it's worth it to me.

The second thing I like about it is how it does ALAC. It uses Nero's codec instead of iTunes. Because EAC uses iTunes to create the ALAC files, I can't do anything else on the computer while ripping.

The one think I like more about EAC is it's error reporting. dbPowerAmp just says there was an error. EAC tells you exactly where the error is and give you an option to listen to it. If I have errors on a rip, I'll rerip with EAC so I can get the report. EAC still gets the error, but there are sometimes that I can't hear it.

Speed isn't a factor for me because I've turned on secure rip in dbPowerAmp. It always reads the CD twice. I buy a lot of used CDs and when they are beat up, I turn on ultra secure rip, so it can take even longer than EAC. If after the 2nd rip, it doesn't agree with AccuateRip, it will reread up to 6 times. If the disk isn't in AccuateRip, it will alway read 8 times.

Dec 25, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #21 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Before re-ripping all of your music library into FLAC or any other lossless format, make sure you can tell the difference on your setup. Re-rip a CD you know very well into a lossless format, and use foobar's ABX comparator using one lossy rip and one lossless rip of a song.

If you can run 10-20 trials without having a high %chance of guessing, go ahead and re-rip. If not, you're better off waiting until you have better equipment.

Good advice.
I just started into computer audio (anyone want to buy a nice CD player?).
I began with flac, but just for curiosity I did a few in aiff.

In spite of what people say, flac does not sound as good as aiff.

I did a test with my son & his friend as well. They both heard more bass and wider soundstage with aiff. Definitely a difference.

So now I'm starting over ripping.
Yes the files are a lot larger, but I have a couple of 1 TB drives, so there is tons of room.
icon10.gif

At around $170 for the drive, there's no reason not to rip at full strength.

May 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #23 of 59
I know its been a long time since the last post on this thread but i recently got interesting in ripping music from cds. I currently have a Sony a17 hi rez player and Sony mdr-1a headphones. i have a bunch of cds and i wanted to rip them in the best quality possible. I read this thread and it seemed that people agree to rip in FLAC. Whats the best way to execute this? Is everyone still using EAC? What program should i use? i currently have itunes only becuase its straight forward and im use to it. i dont own and apple products. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again im new to this and forgive me for my noobness. Thanks

May 25, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #25 of 59
  As this thread started in 2009, I can only say FLAC got more momentum. Even Win10 is going to support it.
EAC is still around. Personally I favor dBpoweramp, it has excellent meta data
http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/ripping.html

Thank you very much. Ya this thread is very old i was wondering if it still applied. Ill definitely take a look at dBpoweramp. Its $39 right? So is dBpoweramp all i need to rip music into flac? Will there be something else i need. Thanks for the link im gonna read it now.

May 25, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #28 of 59
Media Player == software for your computer in this case. Itunes, for example, can't play FLAC. It can play ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio CODEC), but no FLAC. ALAC has *some* support, but I've chosen FLAC because I think it's more supported and more future proof.

On the windows platform you have a good number of choices for high quality players. One of the oldest (maybe *the* oldest) and most mature programs around is JRiver Media Center:

http://www.jriver.com/

It's an incredibly powerful piece of software. There's a learning curve. It's not the most simple. But it's among the best. There's a 30 day free trial with no features limited; what you see is what you get for 30 days.

Good luck to you. It should be a fun journey!

Brian.

May 26, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #29 of 59
Media Player == software for your computer in this case. Itunes, for example, can't play FLAC. It can play ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio CODEC), but no FLAC. ALAC has *some* support, but I've chosen FLAC because I think it's more supported and more future proof.

On the windows platform you have a good number of choices for high quality players. One of the oldest (maybe *the* oldest) and most mature programs around is JRiver Media Center:

http://www.jriver.com/

It's an incredibly powerful piece of software. There's a learning curve. It's not the most simple. But it's among the best. There's a 30 day free trial with no features limited; what you see is what you get for 30 days.

Good luck to you. It should be a fun journey!

Brian.

Yes i plan to stick with FLAC. Thank you very much. Ill give the jriver a shot.

Jun 9, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #30 of 59
I hope this is not off topic, is there a way to determine the art format (JPG, TIFF) embedded in a tag? I'm using a tag editor but can't tell the difference between picture formats. Is there a more preferred format for DAPs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back