Best format for ripping CD's
Aug 28, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #46 of 59
You mentioned it was enabled - I'm assuming you either willfully enabled it or it is a default. And of course this is just my preference - if you like everything normalized/compressed that's your own choice. It may make sense for a portable device, but that's not something I tend to worry about (since I don't do much with portable devices these days).

Are you talking about album volume normalization? i cant seem to find it anywhere and i dont see were i said volume normalization enabled. Please help. thanks

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #47 of 59
Are you talking about album volume normalization? i cant seem to find it anywhere and i dont see were i said volume normalization enabled. Please help. thanks

Yes - "album volume normalization" is what you said was enabled. Go back to Post #36.

Quote:
"Im ripping to FLAC level 5.

I added a DSP effect ReplayGain.

Track, Album Gain & itunes Album normalization selected"

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #48 of 59
Yes - "album volume normalization" is what you said was enabled. Go back to Post #36.

Quote:
"Im ripping to FLAC level 5.

I added a DSP effect ReplayGain.

Track, Album Gain & itunes Album normalization selected"

Awesome thank you. Im going to go back and burn without the Replay Gain/Track, Album Gain & itunes Album normalization. Thanks

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #55 of 59
Sometimes you get a perfect looking disc that just wont read correctly in a drive, this is why I have at least 2 drives in my systems. Try and find another drive or another system to try re-ripping the disc.

You could use CUETools ripper as a portable secure ripper on a USB key and rip the disk to CUE+WAV. When you get back to your main system mount the CUE+WAV and rip with DBPoweramp and check the results (which should be exactly the same as the CUEtools ripper results, secure)

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #56 of 59
Hi. I've been burning all my cd's to flac and i was noticing under audio properties next to size it says what percentage it was compressed. Below is a picture so you can see what im talking about. it says 30%. Is this normal when ripping from cd to flac?

Oct 4, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #57 of 59
FLAC is a lossless compressed format. Internally, it's kind of like a ZIP or RAR file. It's compression rate is dependent on how complex the data is. The more complex the data, the less it can be compressed. FLACs hover around the 40% compression mark as an average. I see bit rates in my library ranging from around 700 to 1100 bps.

So the short answer is, YES, what you're seeing is about right. The song in the screen shot has a pretty high bit rate, or a low compression rate, because it's (presumably) sort of complex compared to the average song.

Brian.

Oct 4, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #58 of 59
Thank you Brian for clearing that up
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back