Best for soundstage?
Mar 7, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DobsOnly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the informative post.

With all due respect for the numbers I am at a loss as to why this does not seem to be the case during my listening tests. I just sat here again this morning listening to a couple tracks from John Scofield UberJam. Player to Custom-3's and Player to HF-1's. I didn't use my HD600's, didn't want to introduce and amp into the mix. I used the same tracks on new Nano, Fuze and VibeZ.

The OP's question was about Soundstage. Based on my listening, the VibeZ consistently presents a larger, more open, out of your head sound and the iPod the most compressed in your head sound of the 3. This seems to defy the numbers. I’m thinking maybe there are few more things at play which help determine the heard, perceived illusion of soundstage. But then maybe I'm not understanding the definition of soundstage and wide.

I am looking forward to hearing other thoughts.

Thanks again.

Yes the clip/fuze have very good instrument placement and almost have a 3d effect. I don't know about the nano, but with the touch 2g the "holographic match box" file the box of matches being shaken seems "farther out" on my touch then my fuze/clip. That is what I consider to be a wider soundstage. I't a pretty cool binaural file like the virtual barbershop. I would link it, but I can't find it right now. Pretty much all modern daps have a pretty good soundstage. The d2 and s9 have a narrow stage though.

Never heard the Vibez, but I would like too
biggrin.gif
I know from past players -rio carbon, samsung z5 the sigmatel chip produced a nice wide soundstage, so I don't doubt you on the vibez.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #18 of 25
Mar 8, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #19 of 25
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #20 of 25
Can anyone else weigh in on the VibeZ

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 agree iem is inferior to full size in terms of soundstage

I diss-agree
deadhorse.gif
IEM have a superior sound-stage as they get you closer to the music.

Now of course your all fully aware that music is merely the movement of matter.Your ear drums granted to you free of charge by nature recept these vibrations & then via some other lovely organic stuff turn them into little electrical signals ( even smaller vibrations ) that your minds can then try & interpret these rhythmical patterns.And if your really switched on you may be able to make sense of 'everything' you hear,see,smell,touch & taste .

So if you really want to be closer to the music you have got to be it.

Vibrate

Dance

or Fade away

The Rhythm of life
ksc75smile.gif

OBVIOUSLY the very best sound stage for listening to music is positioning your ears at a nice balanced distance from.

LIve instruments being played .

In fact all this fus over the 'best' headphones,mp3 players etc etc etc is just the basic unrealised desire for humans to play music together and dance as one big family or tribe.

You haven't realised this is the rhythm of your own life ' Your living it '

Evolution dosn't take into consideration that you have the best sounding headphones .if you just sit on your ass listening to them all day.

Hope that helps
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ib1dance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I diss-agree
deadhorse.gif
IEM have a superior sound-stage as they get you closer to the music.

Now of course your all fully aware that music is merely the movement of matter.Your ear drums granted to you free of charge by nature recept these vibrations & then via some other lovely organic stuff turn them into little electrical signals ( even smaller vibrations ) that your minds can then try & interpret these rhythmical patterns.And if your really switched on you may be able to make sense of 'everything' you hear,see,smell,touch & taste .

So if you really want to be closer to the music you have got to be it.

Vibrate

Dance

or Fade away

The Rhythm of life
ksc75smile.gif

OBVIOUSLY the very best sound stage for listening to music is positioning your ears at a nice balanced distance from.

LIve instruments being played .

In fact all this fus over the 'best' headphones,mp3 players etc etc etc is just the basic unrealised desire for humans to play music together and dance as one big family or tribe.

You haven't realised this is the rhythm of your own life ' Your living it '

Evolution dosn't take into consideration that you have the best sounding headphones .if you just sit on your ass listening to them all day.

Hope that helps
bigsmile_face.gif

confused_face(1).gif

Most of that post seemed like rambling to me, but just one thing:

Good soundstage = wide space + airiness + instrument separation. If it's closer to your ears, it's considered more claustrophobic.

If your post was meant to be sarcastic, my bad. I couldn't tell. Your post just made me think, "Ehhhhhh...", lol.

Mar 14, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes the clip/fuze have very good instrument placement and almost have a 3d effect.

Yes, it's amazing how 3D the sound can be with Clip + good amp + over the ear headphones + well done recording.

But still, the headphones make the biggest difference in soundstage. (as others have already said)

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #24 of 25
Creative Zen 8GB + Denon D2000 sounds bit bitter in soundstage than on iPod Classic 80GB for some weird reason!! I was listening to an live album as well.

But put on the Ultrasone Pro 750 on the creative zen = counter productive sounds worser in soundstage and everything
Put it back on iPod classic, and there the nice soundstage. So the thing is did the Creative Zen is messing with the music file or something? Which one is better?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back