Best for movies for around $150???
Jul 14, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

EraD5

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I'm kind of new to the headphone part of audio, I have a pretty well rounded home theater and it has spoiled me so I need some headphones that I can stand listening to on my head for longer periods of time The main uses for the phones will be 1. Movies 2. Music 3. Games, my criteria is as follows:

Up to $150usd (maybe a little more if its worth it)
Sealed or Noise Isolation
Thunderus lows Clear midrange and Sparkling highs
Comfortable(tighter fitting) Im a smaller person
Do not want to amp

Im in the military and getting ready to deploy, which means around 2 days of travel on a plane and when I get there I will have a roomate and will not want to bother/and or be bothered. I've also had the Bose Quite Comfort and was not very impressed. I bought a Dell with Blu-ray and a 1080p LED screen
just to take with and be able to have a little piece of a theater with me. I did get an external sound blaster to use, Its the creative x-fi extreme(not sure how good it is)?

Thanks, Josh

Jul 14, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 13
I've found that Koss's (mv1) are quite good for movie listening... and gaming too. Some people don't like the fit and say that the cushions make them sweat. But I really haven't had such problems, and I've worn them for more than an hour at times
redface.gif

The Koss need a short break-in period but they're fine. I also own the Grado 325i and HD-650, and you don't want to use open's for movie viewing or gaming, they're meant for music. As for music with the Koss? Although nothing mind blowing, they're quite competent at music.

Jul 15, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 13
This is the third or fourth thread in the past couple of days that asks for a headphone good for everything within a certain budget that can run unamped. Let's review some facts about headphones:

1. Headphones have characteristics, many of which people disagree about for different applications. That is to say, no one's going to be able to tell you what can you will like best for movies, games, music of any genre, dirty films, etc. Maybe you'd be interested in asking what other people value for these applications, but in the end, you need to decide what makes a good movie/game/classical/***** headphone for you, and then ask what headphones have those qualities.

2. Full-sized headphones like amps. Most good ones require amps. Most good ones that don't require amps probably aren't going to sound their best without amps. The point is, you're probably better off thinking "how can I best allocate my budget on an amp & headphone?" than "I want to spend my budget on a headphone, I don't want an amp." You're probably not getting your money's worth otherwise.

Let's also review some basic facts about these forums:

1. They've been around for a while. They're rather active. Point is, if you hang around, or search the forums, or even read the posts made the same day you posted, you might find an answer to your question. There're a lot of "best movie headphones" and "best gaming headphones" and "best music-genre-X headphones" threads...surely you can find one that fits your criteria. Maybe there isn't one that answers your exact question, but that's what basic research is for. We're not your mom.

2. People don't necessarily have experience with all the headphones out there. Especially since the more experienced people are probably too busy commenting on the subtleties of their HD800s to worry about things like this. There might be a wonderful set of cans out there for you that no one who posts has listened to, but might come up somewhere on the forums. If you've found something interesting you want to know more about, you can always ask.

3. People don't agree. I'm not totally sure what you mean by a good 'phone for movies, actually...I tend to use the phones I use for music. People have different priorities; you need to find yours.

4. We're a community. It's fun hanging out here and talking about headphones. If your first post is "find me my perfect headphones within my budget", it doesn't really sound like you want to be part of our community. That's kind of depressing.

Point being: there's a search function; use it. Listen to your movies, music, and games. Figure out what you wish you had more of, search around for a good system for you. And if you have questions, ask us, but don't expect us to serve you your ideal cans on a silver platter. If we could give you a set of phones that had everything for under $150 unamped, we wouldn't be here.

Incidentally, I'd probably use the Senn HD280 Pro, but most people here hate that 'phone.

Sorry...PayPal's being a bitch about my HF-2, so I'm a bit cranky at the moment.

EDIT: So the forums edit out p-o-r-n-o but not "bitch"? That's a bit...odd...

Jul 15, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 13
look into the Audio Technica ATH-M50. They meet all your sound requirements and are built very well.

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the third or fourth thread in the past couple of days that asks for a headphone good for everything within a certain budget that can run unamped. Let's review some facts about headphones:

1. Headphones have characteristics, many of which people disagree about for different applications. That is to say, no one's going to be able to tell you what can you will like best for movies, games, music of any genre, dirty films, etc. Maybe you'd be interested in asking what other people value for these applications, but in the end, you need to decide what makes a good movie/game/classical/***** headphone for you, and then ask what headphones have those qualities.

2. Full-sized headphones like amps. Most good ones require amps. Most good ones that don't require amps probably aren't going to sound their best without amps. The point is, you're probably better off thinking "how can I best allocate my budget on an amp & headphone?" than "I want to spend my budget on a headphone, I don't want an amp." You're probably not getting your money's worth otherwise.

Let's also review some basic facts about these forums:

1. They've been around for a while. They're rather active. Point is, if you hang around, or search the forums, or even read the posts made the same day you posted, you might find an answer to your question. There're a lot of "best movie headphones" and "best gaming headphones" and "best music-genre-X headphones" threads...surely you can find one that fits your criteria. Maybe there isn't one that answers your exact question, but that's what basic research is for. We're not your mom.

2. People don't necessarily have experience with all the headphones out there. Especially since the more experienced people are probably too busy commenting on the subtleties of their HD800s to worry about things like this. There might be a wonderful set of cans out there for you that no one who posts has listened to, but might come up somewhere on the forums. If you've found something interesting you want to know more about, you can always ask.

3. People don't agree. I'm not totally sure what you mean by a good 'phone for movies, actually...I tend to use the phones I use for music. People have different priorities; you need to find yours.

4. We're a community. It's fun hanging out here and talking about headphones. If your first post is "find me my perfect headphones within my budget", it doesn't really sound like you want to be part of our community. That's kind of depressing.

Point being: there's a search function; use it. Listen to your movies, music, and games. Figure out what you wish you had more of, search around for a good system for you. And if you have questions, ask us, but don't expect us to serve you your ideal cans on a silver platter. If we could give you a set of phones that had everything for under $150 unamped, we wouldn't be here.

Incidentally, I'd probably use the Senn HD280 Pro, but most people here hate that 'phone....

Ok well I appriciate your input, abviously this was a loaded question. Sorry I didnt use the search feature as I should have, I just dont want to spend 8 hours going through ten thousand pages looking for the keyword "Movie"
I just like to hear peoples opinions on their take of a good headphone for movies, instead of being ignorant and going and getting a pair of bose. And I realize this is a community but I have to start somewhere with all of this.

Anyway sir Im a grown man and really dont like being talked down to like Im an idiot, So instead of writing 4 paragraphs not answering my question just leave my thread alone and let it someone else help me or if no one feels like answering the "perfect headphone" question I'll be happy going somewhere else.

Thanks to those people who did give me positive input!!!

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tune_in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look into the Audio Technica ATH-M50. They meet all your sound requirements and are built very well.

Awesome man, I was looking at those and they are in my top 3, along with a pair of Scull Candy DJ Pro phones...

Jul 15, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 Pro 80-ohm?

Cool man, I've checked these out too, and they are in my Top 3, along with the ATH-M50, and the Scull Candy DJ Pros

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraD5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool man, I've checked these out too, and they are in my Top 3, along with the ATH-M50, and the Scull Candy DJ Pros

Scratch the skull candys!

do you own d5s?

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Scratch the skull candys!

do you own d5s?

Alright skull candies gone(overpriced?)

Yes I Have D5's in my HT 2 monitors and an LCR for center channel. Powered by an Emotiva XPA-3...

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraD5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright skull candies gone(overpriced?)

Yes I Have D5's in my HT 2 monitors and an LCR for center channel. Powered by an Emotiva XPA-3...

Skull Candys are almost as bad as Bose around here....big box store mentality.

Heard good things about the D5s, I just got some Energy RC-10s for my 2-ch rig...Emotiva amps are pretty sweet.

I'm thinking of getting a pair of DT770s for gaming/movies too, to complement my K702s when I get them, if you want closed, great passive isolation, comfort (people have said it clamps, but I like tighter fitting myself, especially with the velour pads), bass-centric phones for that movie impact, with laid-back mids/friendly highs, I think the DT770/80s are the way to go, unamped. It'll do most techno/trance/rap/rock/pop well, but they're not really the phones for acoustic music, such as classical or orchestral. That's why I'm getting some K702s to complement.

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Skull Candys are almost as bad as Bose around here....big box store mentality.

Heard good things about the D5s, I just got some Energy RC-10s for my 2-ch rig...Emotiva amps are pretty sweet.

Haha, I just saw that you have an EMO too, 15" subs are sweet huh, Ive got the HSU ULS-15.

Alright man well the DT 770-Pro 80's look to be a good prospect considering they have the highest impedance I've found so far on a pair of phones, I'll have to check out the sensitivity on them..

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks everyone for your help! I decided on the Denon AH-D1001S phones.
They seem to have pretty high ratings and alot of positive reviews, so I think I made a pretty good choice, I'll let everyone know what I think of them when they arrive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back