Best for me?
Dec 1, 2005 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

shanebryant

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I'm an average user whom listens to a mid-range home stereo and an ipod, who is looking for a set of cans around $100 that will not mash my big head and crush my ears. I like to listen for long lengths of time and a lot of headsets really hurt my ears after a while. I've been using cheapish headphones for a while now simply because they completely wrapped around my ear and didn't press on it, but now am thinking about going with a better set. Was planning on getting either V6's or Grado 60's or 80's, but am now seeing there is some new Grado deal called an Alassandro or something? Can anyone help me out with what might be best for me?

Thanks!

Dec 1, 2005 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 22
The Grados will not be good if comfort and pressure on your ears is a concern. The V6 is nice, but only if you need a closed headphone (isolating/sealed).

I recommend the Sennheiser HD 555 - big comfy velour earpads that go all the way around your ears, not on top of them. Good sound as well. They can be had for around $100.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by shanebryant
Really, that sucks about the Grados... What about these Allesandro or whatever 'phones?

Alessandros ARE Grados teamed up with Alessandro to make a more neutral sounding variation. They have the same amount of (dis)comfort and they are not new. Your music preference and main listening environment will make a huge impact on what is best for you, so keep this in mind.

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 22
I'll throw in the HD590, another model that can be had around the $100 mark right now. Unless you've got a very big head, their comfort is top notch, beating even the current HD5x5s. Sonically, some prefer the '555, others the '590 (mostly a matter of whether you can get comfortable with the latter's sound signature).

Dec 1, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 22
Have you considered IEM's, to alleviate the head mashing and ear crushing? They can do double duty as on-the-go 'phones, too. The foam earpieces on many of the in-ears help make for light-weight, comfortable listening, especially for long periods. Many people find that IEM's with the foamies seem less invasive than when using flanged tips.

Dec 1, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 22
I would like to counter that statement and say that IEMs (In-Ear-Monitors) are my all time preference, and are the most comfortable choice for me over headphones. They deliver sound equally as good, if not better than full sized headphones, but for much more money than an equivalent headphone in its league.

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jagorev
I personally find IEMs far more uncomfortable than Grados. Nearly impossible to have long listening sessions with them - they're only practical on the go.

I totally disagree with you there, sorry, but I always sit on my couch with my ER-4P/S, sometimes for very long periods. They are so comfortable, they make you forget they are there!!
etysmile.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riku540
I would like to counter that statement and say that IEMs (In-Ear-Monitors) are my all time preference, and are the most comfortable choice for me over headphones. They deliver sound equally as good, if not better than full sized headphones, but for much more money than an equivalent headphone in its league.

How would you compare the SF5pro to the HF-1?

Dec 2, 2005 at 11:49 AM Post #12 of 22
Thing is, you're sort of in between price ranges at the $100 price point. It's tempting to say "extend your budget another $50 or so" but I won't do that...
tongue.gif

Check out the AKG K240s -- haven't heard it myself, but it's a well liked headphone around here, and descriptions of their sound I've read are really intriguing.

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
How would you compare the SF5pro to the HF-1?

Super.fi's win by a margin compared to the HF-1's for me. This is namely the soundstage, and in my own personal opinion the Grado brightness is too harsh on electronic/techno highs. This is a matter of personal preference, but I do consider then super.fi's to be in the same league as the HF-1. I have also heard the reverse from some people where super.fi<HF-1, but they are still in the same league for the most part.

Dec 6, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #15 of 22
So, between the AKG K240S, Sennheiser HD 555 or Senn HD 590 - which should I get?

And if I was going to spend $100 OR SO on IEM, what would you guys recommend? Need to order some this week....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back