Best for listening to human speakers? Books,lectures, TV?
Nov 28, 2009 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Orange1

100+ Head-Fier
I ran a search but couldn't find anything. If it exists can you post a link?

If not, which phones do you recommend for the most natural speaking voice, that feels real and in person?

I listen to recorded books and lectures, but if i could know which phones are great for that, I think I'd listen to TV (educational programs) with headphones also.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Please, prefer no IEM's

I also have this post in the full size forum.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 14
If you want a great, natural-sounding IEM, look at the UM3X. But if you're looking to get into this at a cheaper price, pick something that isn't bassy. The bassy earphones are really the only ones that will cause you problems. They tend to be muddy and anemic in the midrange, which is where most of the voice-related sound is centered. Getting earphones for speech is really an easy bill to fill. Speech doesn't require much range. As long as you don't cut the midrange (to bury it in bass), you'll be fine. Even the phones that come with an iPod (those $20 specials) are fine for speech.

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a great, natural-sounding IEM, look at the UM3X.

Read the post, good sir.

Anyway. Any headphone should work fine.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #6 of 14
i use the ie8 for listening to audible audiobooks on my touch and the voices are very real,but frankly my $30 sennheiser px40 sound incredible with books and music.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 14
I'd just get something that's comfortable for long periods of time.The $30 Philips SHP8500s are personal favorite - I've done 8-10 hours stretches in them in perfect comfort.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 14
Thank you for all your input, seems there isn't anything but the dt48 that makes speakers shine, (learnt on the full-size forum) but other than that cheap will do.

ljokerl, it is alot to ask, yet will you use your Philips SHP8500 during some TV watching/testing and tell me if there is anything particularly annoying about the Philips? Thank you either way, I like the advice! The Philips can be had for 27 incl shipping on amazon.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read the title and thought, what's a human speaker? As in, a loudspeaker made out of a human.

Carry on ...

heh heh, right. What's the best for listening to human speakers? Human ears, of course.
biggrin.gif

Now we can argue about dogs vs. humans, and what is meant by "best."
tongue.gif

I agree with the other people who are saying don't spend a lot. Just get some cheap senns or something.

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 14
I think you're over analyzing this a little. I mean, with the current stage of sound technology, it's not hard to make the human voice sound great. It's not a very demanding task. And after all, are you listening to what the dude is saying, or the melodious sound of his voice? I can't think of any phones (possibly besides some found on airplanes) that could not produce a decent human voice. My opinion, get a phone for music and it will sound better than fantastic for speeches/presentations/shows.

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 14
The OP prefers NO IEMs...
smily_headphones1.gif

Just get the mid-centric phones... The Grado should be fine.

But, if the OP want to try IEMs, try the PFEs... good mids and clarity.

Thank you.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ljokerl, it is alot to ask, yet will you use your Philips SHP8500 during some TV watching/testing and tell me if there is anything particularly annoying about the Philips? Thank you either way, I like the advice! The Philips can be had for 27 incl shipping on amazon.

I use the Philips for TV all the time. They're a very neutral headphone. Nothing about their sound really stands out in any way, which combined with the comfort makes them pretty much perfect. If I had to describe the sound i'd say that they are a little on the bright side and missing some down-low bass extension. Still punchy though.

Nothing about them annoys me except that you can't pick them up by the headband because the cups will slide to the most extended position and then will need to be readjusted. A minor gripe, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back