Best for listening to a human speaker? Lectures, books, TV
Nov 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Orange1

100+ Head-Fier
I ran a search but couldn't find anything. If it exists can you post a link?

If not, which phones do you recommend for the most natural speaking voice, that feels real and in person?

I listen to recorded books and lectures, but if i could know which phones are great for that, I think I'd listen to TV (educational programs) with headphones also.

Thank you for your recommendations.

ps, should I double post to get portable phones in that section (not wanting buds or IEM but only over the ears phones) or can I get recommendations for that here also?

Nov 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 8
If it is really just listening to a human, I would try to find one of the various forms of the beyer dt-48.

Nov 28, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 8
Alternatively, you could look at an etymotic ER4, or another phone with a peak in frequency response in the sort of 2k-5k region (as these regions typically contain diction) and a boost here will allow you to hear more concisely from bad recordings.

Nov 28, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #5 of 8
If you are patient and watch out on ebay, you can get an older dt48 for less than $100. The design has been pretty much unchanged since it was introduced around 1950.

Nov 28, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for responding so quickly. I guess I should have said, on the cheap side.

You shouldn't have had to. Capturing human speech is no great hurdle. In fact, back when cassette tapes were in vogue, the cheapest recording tapes were marketed as being designed for "speech." You don't need much range for that. Just about any pair of headphones or earphones, at just about any price, would be fine for that.

Of course, there's always an exception. The basshead fetish has generated a whole line of headphones and earphones that get so caught up in producing boom-boom-boom that the presentation is rendered muddier. So, believe it or not, you actually can pay more money for cans that do a worse job of reproducing human speech. Just avoid the ones that make a big deal about all the bass they provide. You won't need it. Unless you intend to watch the James Earl Jones channel, you'll be fine with just about anything hanging from a hook at Walmart.

Now, if you want the very best, most luscious, reproduction of the human voice, buy a nice pair of cans - and pay till it hurts. The best cans will easily give you the best reproduction of the human voice. Just understand that this is not a difficult task and that if you're just going to use these phones to watch TV or listen to podcasts, et cetera, you don't have to spend any real money. The crappy earphones that come with your iPod would handle that and then some.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is really just listening to a human, I would try to find one of the various forms of the beyer dt-48.

Yes, they do human voices very well..

Nov 29, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are patient and watch out on ebay, you can get an older dt48 for less than $100. The design has been pretty much unchanged since it was introduced around 1950.

This is slightly off topic but I wanted to compliment you on that bust. Never did those wooden air chambers compliment a bust as well as your RS-1s. Bra-vo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back