Best for immersion - Tiamat or...
Dec 18, 2012 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Darkbluesky

New Head-Fier
Hello

This is my first post here, but I am a reader from some time ago. Recently I am after a new headphones/set for my PC. Currently I have a Sharkoon X-Tatic 5.1 with Dolby PL decodifier.

At side of that I have a 7.1 setup which, although not too good, I am happy with it for the use I give to it. I have an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1.

I thought of buying a Razer Tiamat, because:

- It 's 7.1, just as my speaker setup, so no need to reconfigure when switching to one or other
- The control box of the Tiamat allows me to have plugged both, speakers, and headset at the same time, and switch to one or other with a simple button.
- It allows me to control the volume of each channel independently.
- I hate USB headphones, I mean I want to use my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1.
- I prefer to control the master volume within the OS, which is possible with headphones/sets that uses the PC sound card

I never play online (I am a campaign guy), thus I am not a competitive gamer, on the other hand, what I look for, -and I love- when gaming, is to feel the most immersed in the story and environment that is possible. In that sense the mic is a thing that I 'd like to have just in case some day I go online in a flight sim, but as you see is not for an intensive use.

In that sense I liked that the bass of the sharkoon literally vibrates with near explosions (grenade, etc). But vibration/bass is not everything, I mean, and excellent positional audio, detail, soundstage I guess that should be important also for the immersion feel...(?)

In my pc I listen to music also (not every day, though!), mainly classical, French song, vocal/melodical/rock from 40s, 50s, 60s, mainly as complement to other tasks.

I have to add, that my gamer age passed, nevertheless I still keep gaming from time to time, what have not changed (moreover has increased) is my "demands". I mean I play less but when I do I want the best experience (at least the best for my budget), and for me, the best exp. is to feel the more immersed possible -with quality ("boom, boom" is not good immersion for me, if you know what I mean...). I use to play Call of Duty's, BF3, MoH, Flight sims (Il2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover), Silent hunter 3/4/5, and some video aventures.

At this point, after reading guides in this site, and reviews in others, I am full of doubts, it seems that a good alternative could be a PC360 (for headset), but still I have some doubts about it:

- Could I use it satisfactorily, plugged directly in the X-Fi Prelude?
- Should I plug it in the 3.5 (7.1-Front speakers) audio jack of the Prelude?
- I so, how to obtain the surround sound? Using CMSS-3D in the sound card console? And which speaker config (2.0, or 5.1 or 7.1...)? And which config in-game (5.1, surround, stereo)?
- Do I need Dolby Headphone? if so, and amplifier?
- Is there a way I could kept plugged both, the headset and the speakers? 

I have read Tiamat opinions as good regarding the detail with 7.1 sources (and with 5.1's + CMSS-3D), but what I have read here generally, is that true surround (gaming headsets) are some kind of "junk", but I have not found (here or in other sites) a review of the Tiamat done by the same people that, for example, here have put reviews of good headphones, in order to know, in a more precise way (not only saying "is junk"), what, and how much I am going to lose if I choose the Tiamat versus, for example, the PC360.

I can find the Tiamat for 165 euros and the PC360 for 150 euros (I 'd prefer to keep it under 200). Also the HD 598 for 170 euros. Another alternative is to buy both (Tiamat + a sennheiser), but this is too expensive.

I would appreciatte if you could help me to solve some doubts, because as more read, more confused I am.

Tx

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 4
Dec 22, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 4
Sorry to bump it, maybe someone more could help me to clarify it for my use. I have readen more posts (inlcuding the comprhensive Mad Lust Envy's guide) and still don't see too clear my concerns in the first post. I would like to keep my Auzentech, so I'll use CMSS3D if I get stereo HP, which I am not sure if I like more or less than the tests of DH I have heard, maybe I like a bit more Dolby Headphone for immersion, not sure though.

In that guide maybe a good one for fun or all-around could be DT990 250 Ohm, but I'm not sure if the bass will be too much (?), and I'm afraid I would need and external Amp (could I put them directly in my Prelude?, if not which amp?)...

But still no more detailed comparison about the Tiamats (treble, bass, mids, soundstage, etc)... At this point I am leaning towards the Tiamat, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back