Best for a 5g iPod??
Dec 26, 2005 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheLaZeR

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, i was searching through the forums, but couldn't find anything really like my situation...

I have the shure e2c's and love them, but i really want to get some full sized headphones (want the warmer sound with more comfortable fit for at home). I listen to mainly band like Phish, Pink Floyd, Audioslave, and some rap. I want good bass, but really crisp and clear sound.

I was looking at Sen hd-555, at-900, dt-880's, but can't decide which one, or if one these even would do the job..

Right now i don't have an amp, and am not really looking to get one, but to get a good music experience, i guess i'll be willing to get one...I'm willing to spend about $200-300.

Thanks in advance.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 9
Without an amp, I believe the headphone that will sound good is the Grado SR60.

Those headphones that you listed will require an amp to drive it, especially the Beyer DT880.

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #3 of 9
I've got a new iPod myself and was pleasantly surprised to see that it could drive my old Sony MDR-CD850 (pretty large cans) without any problems whatsoever. Sounds pretty good, too. I think the key is the phones' low impedance (32 ohms) combined with its high sensitivity (100+ db). I believe the phones you mentioned are all high impedance (or at least higher than 32 ohms), which would require an outboard amp to get adequate volume out of them (not to mention better quality sound) from an iPod.

Russell

Dec 26, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 9
lazer, i listen to pretty much the exact same music you do. I just got a pair of sennheiser hd595s for christmas and I use them with my 60 GB iPod photo. They are relatively low impedance (50 ohms) and my iPod powers them just fine. You can find them for pretty cheap on www.pricegrabber.com (i think around $160). They have great sound quality, and as I have said, my iPod powers them just fine. The only downside is that they have horrible isolation, if that's a concern to you.

greg

Dec 27, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for your responses...

I guess my next question, if i weren't to get the 595 or 555's, would be what kind of amp would be good for me?? I really don't want to spend a lot on an amp, maybe 100$ to possibly 200$

I was at flanner's today, and i tried out the 595's, and they were really comfortable and good sounding, and no i don't really care about isolation since i will be using them at home..

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 9
Ok guys....

I think i've decided that i want to go all out kind of..

I think i'm gonna go for the hd-650's, and a good amp, but i was just wondering, is it worth it?? will i really like them with or without an amp? and what kind of amp?

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:40 PM Post #8 of 9
650s are great but out of an iPod not so great. With out an amp the bass will be lacking. Don’t think that you have to have an expensive amp. A simple cheap amp will work just fine (not super cheap). Out of an iPod I think money is wasted on a fancy amp. Now get a good CD player then we can talk amps.

edit. You can get the 600 cheap if you shop around. That are very similar to the 650s.

Dec 29, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 9
I understand what you're saying, but i AM going to be getting an amp, and i do have a Panasonic SA-AK320 in my room which i never though of mentioning that i've had for about a year. Would that be a decent source?

And for an amp, do you think a go-vibe or pocket amp would work fine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back