Best for $30?
Jan 21, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Nater43

New Head-Fier
I'm currently searching for some IEM's, as my Skullcandy "Smokin' Buds" broke. I'm looking to stay around the $30 range. I've heard great things about the CX300's, as well as the Jbud J2's. I'm sure there are more out there to look at as well. I listen primarily to rock on my Creative Zen, which is what I will be using these for. Any ideas on what earbuds would be best for me? Thanks in advance.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nater43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm currently searching for some IEM's, as my Skullcandy "Smokin' Buds" broke. I'm looking to stay around the $30 range. I've heard great things about the CX300's, as well as the Jbud J2's. I'm sure there are more out there to look at as well. I listen primarily to rock on my Creative Zen, which is what I will be using these for. Any ideas on what earbuds would be best for me? Thanks in advance.

Did you like your Skullcandies? They're loathed around here, but if you happened to have liked those then I am guessing you like a hefty amount of bass. The best cheap sub bass-y option I can think of is probably JVC Marshmallows. Lots and lots of bass for certain. CX300 would definitely be good, and is also bassy, but will obviously cost you more than Marshmallows.

EP 830 is also a decent option but not so much for the bass (more midrange oriented), and KSC 75 is always a favourite at sub $30 level but those aren't IEM's.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you like your Skullcandies? They're loathed around here, but if you happened to have liked those then I am guessing you like a hefty amount of bass. The best cheap sub bass-y option I can think of is probably JVC Marshmallows. Lots and lots of bass for certain. CX300 would definitely be good, and is also bassy, but will obviously cost you more than Marshmallows.

EP 830 is also a decent option but not so much for the bass (more midrange oriented), and KSC 75 is always a favourite at sub $30 level but those aren't IEM's.

I didn't really love them, as they were simply the first thing I saw at Best Buy when I was looking to upgrade from the earbuds that came with my Zen. I'll take a look at the ones you suggested.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 17
I purchased CX300s recently ($20 one-day sale at J&R) and they are worthless, particularly after spending a great deal of time with KSC75s. I really don't see how Head Room or anyone else could recommend them for listening to music. Even high quality recordings sound like muddy, poorly-defined crap. I just ordered a pair $49 RE2s from Head Direct as I need an IEM for my commute. I have my fingers crossed.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycbone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased CX300s recently ($20 one-day sale at J&R) and they are worthless, particularly after spending a great deal of time with KSC75s. I really don't see how Head Room or anyone else could recommend them for listening to music. Even high quality recordings sound like muddy, poorly-defined crap. I just ordered a pair $49 RE2s from Head Direct as I need an IEM for my commute. I have my fingers crossed.

I think it's possible Sennheiser sound signature is simply not for you, especially since you liked the SR60 and KSC75's which are very bright and pretty much an antithesis to typical Senny dark sound. Pending on the user tastes CX300 would be a good choice, I personally thought it was good for rock (which is what TC listens to mainly) when I borrowed it from my friend for a while.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 17
Are the KSC-75's comparable to the KSC-35's? I bought a few 35's way back in 2004, and I still have one of them by my desktop. I really like the 35's, though they're not that comfortable in long periods.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 17
BTW, to answer the thread, I was going to suggest the Koss KSC35, though I've been away from headphone land for a while and I'm not sure if they're still available...

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #10 of 17
KSC35 are on the Koss website for $48. You can get the Koss SportaPro $20(same exact drivers as the KSC35). If you like the clip-on type pick up the KSC75 pretty close to the 35 or get both and switch the clips. To me the sound of the 75 is not as warm as the 35 but it is very similar.

I had the PK3 but I had problems with fit. Earbuds just keep falling out of my right ear. The sound is great. Very detailed but not a lot of bass.

Jan 22, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KSC35 are on the Koss website for $48.

Wow, they raised it. I was away that long. I bought 2 or 3 a few years ago for $29, I think.

Jan 22, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nater43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the CX400's for $32 shipped. I think I might jump on that. What are those like?

To me, the CX400 is only a little better than the CX300 -- the bass is still rather boomy, but the mids are a bit warmer and highs a bit clearer than the CX300. Haven't heard the CX500 to know if it's alot or only a bit > CX400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back