Best for $200 . . .Grado 225i or AT ATH-AD900
Dec 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jumbojimbo

New Head-Fier
I am new to this forum, and I would like your advice.  If I could buy either of these at the same price, comfort or build not considered, purely based on sound, which do you think is better? 

I listen to everything except rap/hip-hop/electonica/dance so exagerated or highlighted bass is not a goal.  Goals are clarity, detail, openess, soundstage, natural, even organic sound.  I just want to hear what is on this track, good or bad. 

I am replacing my listening room with a system I can enjoy anywhere in my house (assuming the leakage/isolation atmosphere of that particular room fits my needs at that moment).

Thanks for your help! 

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 4
SR225 does not have soundstage comparing to AD900. But Grado is better for "I just want to hear what is on this track, good or bad. ". All-in-one are K701 and DT880.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 4
For what I've read, the Grado's have little to no soundstage, while the AT's have a pretty big Soundstage.

According to headphone.com's charts, the ATs also have more bass, which could be useful in Jazz tracks. Also, the high freqs in the ATs are significantly more controled, these ones won't be as bright as the Grados.

I'm puzzeled between the Grado, the AT and the Fischer Audio FA-011. But, if you ask me, I'd go with the AD900s, in fact, that's what I'm going to do :p

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I would say to go for the Grados, I've had the SR80i and AD900 and preferred the SR80i by far. The AD900s are airy and all, but I felt the air was behind the instruments, like as if the band was all crammed together dead center stage in a massive auditorium. The grados were like listening to a band playing in a recording studio. The AD900s had no bass at all to the point that it sucked the life out of the music, both were very fast sounding, I don't remember which one was better in this regard.
The Grado had better mids, with the AD it felt like half of the mids were missing due to the lack of bass. The highs the the ADs were better though.
Hope I'm making sense, I just woke up so my thoughts are a bit jumbled right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back