best foobar settings for Audiophile USB?
Jun 5, 2004 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sporky

Head-Fier
I just unwrapped my brand spankin' new Audiophile USB, and am loving it so far. I'm still using winamp though, since I can't seem to find a foobar setup that works well.

What do other Audiophile USB users here do?

Jun 5, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Set your windows default sound device to something other than the audiophile. Download the Kernel Streaming plug-in for Foobar. Once you've done this, go into control panel and access the audiophile's control panel. Make sure you're only outputting an analog signal. After that, go in to Foobar and access the DSP menu and make sure SSRC is active. Go to the resampler menu and select 96000. Then go to the output menu and select kernel streaming. Also, go to the Kernel Streaming menu and bump up the buffer, I max mine. Next, go to the playback menu and select 24bit fixed point and check to box for dithering and select strong ath noise shapping. Save and close the menus. Try this setting, many people like it. After you've tried this for a while, try selecting 88200 in the resampler menu leaving all else the same. Another configuration to try is to set the resampler to 44100 and go into the audiophile setup and add either an input or output to force the audiophile to use 44.1/48khz but still allow for 24bit word size. In this particular configuration you can also select ASIO as your output type if you like. You'll need the ASIO plug-in for foobar though.

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. That works fine, but it sounds a little hollow compaired to my usual combo of Winamp v.2 with the Enhancer plugin (http://www.i-adrian.home.ro/enhancer.htm).

I'll have to switch the default sound device back to the Audiophile if I want to hear anything other than foobar though, righ?

Also, what am I missing without ASIO at 24bit/96khz? Does it really sound that much better?

Jun 5, 2004 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by sporky
Thanks. That works fine, but it sounds a little hollow compaired to my usual combo of Winamp v.2 with the Enhancer plugin (http://www.i-adrian.home.ro/enhancer.htm).

I'll have to switch the default sound device back to the Audiophile if I want to hear anything other than foobar though, righ?

Also, what am I missing without ASIO at 24bit/96khz? Does it really sound that much better?

Nope, 24/96 sounds the same whether you output in ASIO or Kernel Streaming... The idea of either one is to bypass the windows kmixer.

And yes, you would have to set leave it the default device to hear anything else. The problem is the when you are listening to upsampled audio any windows sound that plays will be in 48khz so it inturupts the data and the song gets all screwed up. You'll have to restart the track if that happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back