Best FM transmitter for music players
May 12, 2007 at 11:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

foges

Head-Fier
So i have a cowon and my brother has an iPod and i really want to find a way of hooking up these mp3 players to the car's sterio and it seems the best way to do so is buying an FM transmitter. I have however heared that most of them are not very impressive, so my question is what one do you recomend that i buy?

Thanx

May 12, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 11
If you must get one, then I guess you should buy one that's powered from a 12v socket (cigarette lighter), rather than a battery operated one. This will ensure a higher operating voltage and a stronger signal.

May 12, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 11
The iTrip wont work with my cowon, does belkin make one for non-ipod's? I was also thinking 12V. Any suggestions on what ones are good?. How bout the KENSINGTON Universal FM-Transmitter

May 12, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you must get one, then I guess you should buy one that's powered from a 12v socket (cigarette lighter), rather than a battery operated one. This will ensure a higher operating voltage and a stronger signal.

x2. It's annoying to have to change the batteries on my belkin. I wish I would have just spent the extra 10 bucks to get the 12v DC version. Other than that the belkin works pretty good. Nothing stellar but it works, and it just plugs into a regular 3.5mm port, so it should work with your Cowon.

May 12, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by foges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i have a cowon and my brother has an iPod and i really want to find a way of hooking up these mp3 players to the car's sterio and it seems the best way to do so is buying an FM transmitter. I have however heared that most of them are not very impressive, so my question is what one do you recomend that i buy?

Thanx

Well, the 'best way' to hook your mp3 players to the car without replacing the head unit would be to use a custom cable plugged into the Disc Changer slot of your factory head unit. Such as this:

Dodge AUX harness cable

I had such a setup on my Jeep, which like a few other cars I've seen had the port in the back for multi-disc but since I didn't order one the changer wasn't installed. They put the same head unit in the vehicle regardless most times.

But, honestly. For the price of AUX capable head units these days (both front port and rear) compared to the price of a decent FM transmitter (Belkin/Apple) or even just an MP3 capable CD head unit...you could spend $100 and get the same quality head unit as a factory one but with either 3.5mm inputs or MP3 capable CD player.

May 13, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #7 of 11
I picked up one called iRock from circuit city for around $30. is battery powered but came with a 12 volt adapter and has 3 avaliable frequencies to choose from. Works with any device that has a headphone output. So far no complaints
tongue.gif

May 13, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 11
I've had an iRock, iTrip and PodFreq. The PodFreq is the only one that worked well. I threw the other two out. The PodFreq is more expensive and only works with iPods though.

See ya
Steve

May 13, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #9 of 11
I've tried the ones mentioned in this thread and don't care for any of them. I'm fortunate that my vehicles all have cassettes so I use the cassette adapter. Best sound quality and most dependable IMO.

May 13, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #11 of 11
If your car stereo has an AUX input, then you can just run a mini/mini cable from the output jack of your DAP. If not, you can also get a 'wired' FM tramsmitter that connects into the antenna lead in that is plugged into your car deck. My NEO Jukebox came with one like that. Mine is powered on and off by the NEO tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back