Best FM reception & sound quality on an MP3 small budget
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Captain

500+ Head-Fier
Can anyone make any suggestions. Main listening will be FM radio and then podcasts while at the gym. Don't need much memory, but would like it to be small. Not a massive budget £50/$100.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 20
I 2nd Walkingman, clip is a great sounding inexpensive dap and has good radio reception (for a dap) to boot. Just perfect for working out! Not that I would really know.....

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just perfect for working out! Not that I would really know.....

Same here, to be honest it is for the wife.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 20
I used a Sony AM/FM radio for years before i got into MP3 players. This is like the one I had:

Sony AM/FM Walkman with Clip - eBay (item 330302363974 end time Jan-24-09 08:17:37 PST)

As a yard saler, I've gotten and tried a lot of portable radios, but the above Sony turned out to be the best for signal reception and SQ. The current version:

SRF-59SILVER | AM/FM Walkman® Radio | Sony | SonyStyle USA

For only $15, I think you'll get better FM SQ from a standalone radio than one integrated into a DAP.

Jan 23, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 20
I used a Sony AM/FM radio for years before i got into MP3 players. This is like the one I had:

Sony AM/FM Walkman with Clip - eBay (item 330302363974 end time Jan-24-09 08:17:37 PST)

As a yard saler, I've gotten and tried a lot of portable radios, but the above Sony turned out to be the best for signal reception and SQ. The current version:

SRF-59SILVER | AM/FM Walkman® Radio | Sony | SonyStyle USA

For only $15, I think you'll get better FM SQ from a standalone radio than one integrated into a DAP.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The FM receiver on my 2 GB Clip is very good, but it drains the battery really fast, like within 45 minutes.

Is this even after it's fully recharged? I'm also looking for something small and with FM to replace my Shuffle. The Clip is one of my top choices, but not if the battery life is like that with radio use.

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by christine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this even after it's fully recharged? I'm also looking for something small and with FM to replace my Shuffle. The Clip is one of my top choices, but not if the battery life is like that with radio use.

Yes, that's with the battery fully charged. I bought my Clip when they first came out, so they might have improved battery performance with FM since then, but I kind of doubt it.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 20
Thanks.
frown.gif
Bummer. Maybe I'll look into the Fuze then. A Rockboxed Clip sounds interesting though.

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 20
rederanged, have you tried firmware updates for the Clip and are still seeing this battery problem?

I should probably see how long my Fuze lasts on battery with radio anyway. I'll do that tomorrow.

Jan 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rederanged, have you tried firmware updates for the Clip and are still seeing this battery problem?

No, I haven't. It's a good idea. I will try it and report back.

Jan 24, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #15 of 20
I do not listen to FM that much, but the best portable FM I've heard is the Zune 30. I have no idea if the newer zunes have the same radio, but if you can find a used Zune30 it's worthwhile for the radio. Probably not a good gym player with the hard drive and being larger than any flash player.

I'll check the battery life on my Clip, that radio seems to have good sound quality, if perhaps not the best at pulling in weak stations.

Update - I've had the radio playing a strong station for an hour now and the battery indicator is still showing as full.
Update 2 - radio playing for 2.25 hours and a bit of scanning/setting presets and the power display is down 2 segments.
Update 3 - 3.5 hours, battery indicator is down one-quarter
Update 4 - It's still going. Just short of 5 hours and the battery bar is one segment above half power.
Update 5 - 7 hours and the indicator is at half.
Update 6 - 9.25 hours, the indicator only has one segment left
Update 7 - The radio just went dead at 9 hours 40 minutes.

This was all with the volume set to "normal" listening volume for KSC-75s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back