Best Flash-based MP3 Player on Market Now?
Apr 26, 2007 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stereophile

Head-Fier
I have a D2, and I like it quite a bit.

However, I'm still a *little* disappointed with its SQ. Don't get me wrong, it has very good SQ. However, to my ears, some of my older iRiver units sounded "better" in some respects.

Please list what you think are the best flash memory mp3 players available out there today.

Criteria:
Under $500
Great SQ
Strong Build
Dependable
Good level of Customizable music settings (good eq, etc)

I guess I'd consider an HD model, but rather not - cause I'm very active and would probably crash the HD...

I know people say things like Karma Rio, but I'd rather get something new, and have a warranty, etc.

Thank you!

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 8
I don't think there's a good enough variance in flash based sound quality :/ Even if you are willing to throw 500 dollars at it
frown.gif

As for HD model... well if you are active you are going to need something with a better battery life than the Imod. (agile_one's at the meet only had a battery life of about 5 hrs while I've heard others can do about 8...) I guess that leaves you with something like the Kenwood 30 gig which conveniently is 500 dollars. I don't know about build quality/dependability/good level of customizatble music settings.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #4 of 8
If a guy with a Zune/Kenwood recommends it, then its definitely worth looking at. If you pick it up lemme know how it is vs the D2.

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 8
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I don't understand. Is there a difference in SQ between Flash and HD based Mp3 players? Speaking in general ofcourse.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 8
I don't think flash vs HD has much if any effect on SQ by itself.

People usually want flash players if they are going to be very active with them - jogging, gym, etc.

Because while the HDs can hold way more songs, they of course have a hard drive in them and are more likely to crash if jolted, etc.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Only other player I could recommend to you after reading here a lot myself recently is the Cowon G3, but I really doubt its sound quality would be better. IMO, it's the better audio player...touchscreens are a waste to me.

I chose to buy a Sansa e280, tho...because I got 8GB, as opposed to 2GB w/ the G3, for only $35 more.

And I honestly haven't even been able to listen to the Sansa much since I've gotten it. But it's pretty weak without the EQ... I'm not sure how those with the Rhapsody versions of this player (who don't have an EQ) can listen without it. Anyway, initial impressions are that it sounds pretty good... bass seems to be a bit muddy with the hardest of the dirty south rap and bass rather high, but other than that the bass is still pretty damn accurate to me -- at least as good as my desktop and laptop's sound cards. Could possibly be the MP3s, but I'm leaning toward prolly not. But 99% of songs sound great to me.

I'm hoping that a Supermicro/mini will still be able to open it up until flash players get a lot better (mainly larger capacities)... I'm not expecting much from amping the e280. But with my KSC75s alone, the e280's sound is still impressive to me with all kindsa music I've thrown at it. Others say amping it won't help, but only I could be the judge of that for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back