Best flagship for cohesive musicality?
Dec 7, 2020 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

EYEdROP

500+ Head-Fier
I fell into some good funds and can finally afford a flagship.

I want a flagship that connects to human soul and emotion. The kind that make you enjoy your music so much they make you cry or have goosebumps.

I like to be surprised by dynamics in the midrange and highs, like Wilson audio speakers. Or Mercedes burmester car audio. I like that expensive sounding sound. I want a Stradivarius to sound full bodied with proper timbre. Organic

.. And I want to hear the forest instead of the trees. Sometimes headphones can be very detailed and correct yet somehow cluttered and challenging to listen to unless you focus.. I want mine to be psychoacoustically correct and easy to comprehend. Refined... cohesive, polished.

Measurements should be an afterthought. I prefer bioscience and unicorn piss. But tonal balance is still important (no range or feature should be noticeably highlighted)... And Imaging cues of distance and positioning accuracy are much more important to me than soundstage room size or seating position...

My Opinions of flagship headphones I’ve tried at meets over the years:

HD800: great micro detail. Impressive but artificial imaging/soundstage width. Too thin and no emotion. Cant get into the music

hd600: good overall balance (not thin, pleasing bass quantity) but cloudy, hazy overall. Smoothed out with every track. Socially acceptable high end reference sound of yesteryear. More refined than HD800 IMO (and I’ve heard the S). Fairly emotional

Random Planar headphones: weird wall type soundstages, “hard” brash sound, a little too in your face. Maybe good for metal. Great bass extension. High end ones gave same impressions but more natural soundstage and cleared up veil...

Denon AD-H7200: great musicality and fun, engaging imaging cues. But too much bass bloat and limited micro detail. Bloomy.

Focal Stelia closed: refined luxurious polished sound but noticeably closed/boxy effect. Sort of boring overall like all Focal I’ve heard

My current rig is AKG K371 which I came to love after finding an amp that controlled the bass and made the mids “pop” (liquid spark).. I enjoy the setup a lot but it’s treble extension and detail is low, and overall sound veiled. Reminds me of HD600/650 or QC35.

Now, I have also heard the 1266 and HE-1, and found them to be next level. The HE1, like Wilson audio speakers, could be so delicate sound then next moment smack you over the head with power...

The $5k Abyss is financially attainable but I’m not sure I wanna spend that much when these $200 AKG headphones can still impress me.

Was considering blind buying the T1 v3
(or boring old hd800s, just to own a modern “reference” and learn to appreciate it). Maybe it takes a quiet room? The meets always made this stuff hard :)

I have an Aquila II coming for Christmas, and my source is raspberry pi with volumio, and coaxial pcm streaming flac into an smsl su-8...

Any suggestions for pairing some nice cans to the new amp/Dac?

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 28

I want a flagship that connects to human soul and emotion. The kind that make you enjoy your music so much they make you cry or have goosebumps.

I like to be surprised by dynamics in the midrange and highs, like Wilson audio speakers. Or Mercedes burmester car audio. I like that expensive sounding sound. I want a Stradivarius to sound full bodied with proper timbre. Organic

.. And I want to hear the forest instead of the trees. Sometimes headphones can be very detailed and correct yet somehow cluttered and challenging to listen to unless you focus.. I want mine to be psychoacoustically correct and easy to comprehend. Refined... cohesive, polished.

Measurements should be an afterthought. I prefer bioscience and unicorn piss. But tonal balance is still important (no range or feature should be noticeably highlighted)... And Imaging cues of distance and positioning accuracy are much more important to me than soundstage room size or seating position...

HD800: great micro detail. Impressive but artificial imaging/soundstage width. Too thin and no emotion. Cant get into the music

hd600: good overall balance (not thin, pleasing bass quantity) but cloudy, hazy overall. Smoothed out with every track. Socially acceptable high end reference sound of yesteryear. More refined than HD800 IMO (and I’ve heard the S). Fairly emotional

Random Planar headphones: weird wall type soundstages, “hard” brash sound, a little too in your face. Maybe good for metal. Great bass extension. High end ones gave same impressions but more natural soundstage and cleared up veil...

Denon AD-H7200: great musicality and fun, engaging imaging cues. But too much bass bloat and limited micro detail. Bloomy.

Focal Stelia closed: refined luxurious polished sound but noticeably closed/boxy effect. Sort of boring overall like all Focal I’ve heard

My current rig is AKG K371 which I came to love after finding an amp that controlled the bass and made the mids “pop” (liquid spark).. I enjoy the setup a lot but it’s treble extension and detail is low, and overall sound veiled. Reminds me of HD600/650 or QC35.

Now, I have also heard the 1266 and HE-1, and found them to be next level. The HE1, like Wilson audio speakers, could be so delicate sound then next moment smack you over the head with power...

The $5k Abyss is financially attainable but I’m not sure I wanna spend that much when these $200 AKG headphones can still impress me.

(or boring old hd800s, just to own a modern “reference” and learn to appreciate it). Maybe it takes a quiet room? The meets always made this stuff hard :)

I have an Aquila II coming for Christmas, and my source is raspberry pi with volumio, and coaxial pcm streaming flac into an smsl su-8...

I think you should look into either the ZMF Auteur or Verite. The Auteur has more sub bass, is overall closer to neutral, and has more forward vocals.

The Verite has more mid bass, slightly recessed vocals depending on pad choice, smoother treble, greater separation and greater details. And you get all of this with a more organic and not harsh timbre.

The fact that they’re both gorgeous to look at and come with a lifetime warranty on the drivers if bought brand new, is just icing on the cake. And ZMF has stellar customer support to boot. Zach is a great guy to deal with.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 28
The 1266 TCs are something special. In my opinion, they’re the best headphones you can buy (minus the $50k Hifimans and Senn electrostatics of course).

It’s important to use a good dac and headphone amp, so make sure you look into that as well.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 28
Second the 1266 TC. The first headphone that makes me feel the STAX are an inferior sound. It's also the only headphone I've ever heard that questions the big boy speakers.

From a good dealer, you can snag a new TC for $4k. I don't know whether $1k is appreciable to sway a decision. However, likewise, that $1k could be applicable to many other dealer purchases.

I'd grab a Ragnarok 1 and never look back! Or so we all say. :laughing:

Good luck with your journey!

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 28
I’ll second the ZMFs (even if I prefer a 6 series Sennheiser). I don’t understand the love for the Abyss. Personally I think it’s a real bummer and certainly not deserving of it’s accolade of being ‘the world’s best headphone’. They sorta forgot to tune the mids. I’d honestly much rather listen to say a Sundara.
A planar that I think would suit your tastes is the LFF Code X...but you’re never going to find one..so the next best thing is the Audio Zenith PMx2.
P.S. The new T1 is the warmest headphone you can buy on the market. Think of the Nighthawk..and then add a wee bit more darkness and you’re effectively there.
P.P.S. I know you’re looking for something to pair with your new amp/dac...but I’d still audition the Raal if I was searching for a flagship can.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 28

What you want to listen is the T1.3 :thumbsup:

You describe very nicely the reasons why I preferred the T1.3 to a very good Denon AH-D9200 and a very good Focal Clear.

I'm into the music with the T1.3, the headphones don't sound like stingy hi-fi. Granted, there may be something better, but I don't know it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 28
Meze Empyrean fit the desired description and unlike the Abyss TC they are much easier to drive so you don't need to spend the same amount on amp and dac.

Dec 8, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 28
Second the 1266 TC. The first headphone that makes me feel the STAX are an inferior sound. It's also the only headphone I've ever heard that questions the big boy speakers.

From a good dealer, you can snag a new TC for $4k. I don't know whether $1k is appreciable to sway a decision. However, likewise, that $1k could be applicable to many other dealer purchases.

I'd grab a Ragnarok 1 and never look back! Or so we all say. :laughing:

Good luck with your journey!
1266 TC for $4k? Sounds like a good deal. I was very impressed by these at the meet a couple years back...

But the question is if my Aquila II can do it justice as I do the upgrade thing over time? It’s got 4w output on balanced at 32ohm, output impedance of 2ohm...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 28
1266 TC for $4k? Sounds like a good deal. I was very impressed by these at the meet a couple years back...

But the question is if my Aquila II can do it justice as I do the upgrade thing over time? It’s got 4w output on balanced at 32ohm, output impedance of 2ohm...
If you'd like you can PM me for a dealer.

2W minimum IMO although you can specifically look at specs to see 47Ω 88 dB so extrapolate 1W into 118 dB deafness. I would only caution over the long haul you'll be bottlenecking bass response/control and dynamics.

But overall, I'd think about if you really want that path of discovery. All of your gear will be revealed: the good, the bad.
I was just sharing my personal reference for what is the best.

Other options might be a Verite or a RAD-0. Percentile technicality with a particular focus on inviting musicality.

Dec 8, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 28
Verite with a high-end tube amp should be up your alley. On the planar side, the Susvara with an appropriate amp sounds like it would fit, but I haven't personally been able to own one.

Dec 8, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 28
Posting to follow of sorts..

I just got the LCD-4 and after a couple of days like everything about it but the smooth and somewhat laid back nature of it. I find myself wishing for more " treble extension" or "air" if you so will, in combination with fast dynamics to get the "wow-feeling". I find the sound pleasing, detailed and "right" but it seem to have ahard time getting my head banging so to speak (and if so, they risk fall of due to the weight haha).
Could be my Marantz HD-DAC1 is just not good enought to drive the LCD-4 to satisfaction.. Or should I look into another set of cans altogether?

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 28
If you'd like you can PM me for a dealer.

2W minimum IMO although you can specifically look at specs to see 47Ω 88 dB so extrapolate 1W into 118 dB deafness. I would only caution over the long haul you'll be bottlenecking bass response/control and dynamics.

But overall, I'd think about if you really want that path of discovery. All of your gear will be revealed: the good, the bad.
I was just sharing my personal reference for what is the best.

Other options might be a Verite or a RAD-0. Percentile technicality with a particular focus on inviting musicality.
I read up on the verite and rad-0 and those seem like possibly great matches. Problem is I didn’t find any dealers or upcoming meets in which I can demo them... And if I know I like the Abyss and can get them discounted, it’s hard not to jump on that.

Are those two in a similar league and really worth a shot? Or does the 1266 edge them out overall?

And I actually started my journey with revealing gear (etymotics, dt48,k701) and this time I think I can get both revealing accuracy AND big boy dynamics without sweetening the sound...Not sure if the other two can do that...

Also researching the Meze’s etc...

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 28
Posting to follow of sorts..

I just got the LCD-4 and after a couple of days like everything about it but the smooth and somewhat laid back nature of it. I find myself wishing for more " treble extension" or "air" if you so will, in combination with fast dynamics to get the "wow-feeling". I find the sound pleasing, detailed and "right" but it seem to have ahard time getting my head banging so to speak (and if so, they risk fall of due to the weight haha).
Could be my Marantz HD-DAC1 is just not good enought to drive the LCD-4 to satisfaction.. Or should I look into another set of cans altogether?

I bought the LCD-4 and had the same impression. People here talked me into upgrading my amp and DAC repeatedly until I had a $2800 amp and $1200 DAC but it still sounded the same to me. I ended up moving to other headphones. I prefer the Focal Clear, HD800S, and a few Stax headphones to the LCD-4.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #15 of 28
Thanks for replying 🙂
Nice to know others feel the same. That is not to say that I dislike the LCD-4 (just listen to some metallica tracks and really liked how much texture the bass notes get and the amount of slam from "below") but I feel that it may not be worth hanging onto such an explosive can if it does not please me.

I remember being much more wow-ed by the hd820 when having that home for a weekend, but then the internet convinced me that it measured wrong and was not worth my time haha. Maybe I should look into the hd800s and perhaps some dekoni pads that are a bit plusher, remover having a hard time of getting a proper seal on the hd820.

I tried the Utopia for a day as well and really liked that, but would really like a wider stage, so don't think I will go down that route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back