Best FLAC playing DAP for SQ Meizu vs Trekstor
Jun 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

boggle

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking Meizu M6 SL or Trekstor Vibez at this stage - my number one concern is SQ. Any comments about the relative merits of these two players would be appreciated, as would any other suggestions. One query - when using a mac do these players generally just appear as a drive where you can put music files in the appropriate folder? I've only ever used an ipod with itunes. My IEM's are Wstone UM2's by the way
redface.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 21
for me, m6sl does not have good SQ.
it does not do well on detail.
I think UM2 is going to hiss crazy with m6sl.

Jun 14, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #3 of 21
It's been reported that the Sansa Fuze is getting FLAC & Ogg Vorbis soon, you might hold off and see, or go ahead and get the Fuze and just get by with MP3 right now, hoping that news is accurate and it's coming down the pipeline soon (they have recently added Ogg Vorbis to the Clip, maybe a test run for adding new formats to their players?).

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #4 of 21
Never heard the Meizu, but I love the SQ of the vibez.

One major problem, though: Nobody has any more vibezes in stock, and the flash version announced back in November is still vaporware.

If you do get a hold of one: the vibez supports both MSC as well as MTP modes. In MSC mode it shows up as a logical drive in Windows. I assume it does the same on a Mac.

Regardless of how your music is copied over, it is browseable both by tag and file/folder location.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #5 of 21
I can backup what RubenNYC said
Vibez SQ is pretty nice and you can select the mode

I have problems with my own 12G vibez aswell as the 8G one i got for my mother and it looks as though Trekstore is not realy behind their product any more.
I'll call and see whether they get repaired/replaced.. [size=xx-small]one might end up FS aswell[/size]

I have not heard other flac players but the sound quality is not unbelievable either, it impressed me quite a lot when i got it and i still think its quite clear and neutral but an old PCDP beats it regarding detail and PRAT so i guess there might be even better solutions than the Vibez.
Dont get me wrong though it's not a bad player i prefered it to every other player i heard so far,but that is meaningless because they couldn't playback flac

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 21
Thanks for the comments guys - what sort of probs have you encountered with the Trekstor?

Jun 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 21
I have a 8GB Vibez for about a year and a half and a newer 12Gb and both have the same problems although the 12GB one plainly stopped working alltogether and the older but less used 8GB one is still working.
They shut themselves down during playback (sometimes they switch back on sometimes not) , they dont always start to load when you plug them in an USB port and sometimes it takes several attempts to access them..
The strangest thing is that it mixes tracks or rather pastes in upto a second from another track (from the same folder). It refuses to play some tracks and sometimes it takes upto 10seconds before the playback is started.

All this happens completely at random.

The worst that happened was the player freezing wich requires you to take out the battery before you can switch it back on and you can get a boot error or disc error at startup ,this behaviour appeared before the final death of my 12GB Vibez and happened for the second time yesterday on the 8GB one..
I'll call one of those days to see what can be done..

Jun 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 21
For me the most troublesome freezes almost completely disappeared with the first beta firmware upgrade.

There was one instance I thought it was completely dead but was able to revive it.

Other than that, I've used mine heavily for 15 months and couldn't be happier.

Jun 20, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 21
Best player for FLAC is Teclast T39 nowadays. Meizu M6 SP (haven't heard the SL) was quite OK but not even equally good as the iRiver ifp-799 loaded with 320kb/s mp3's. The Vibez sounds terrible to me - colorless, dull midrange, like in mediocre quality mp3's, and even the lossless formats won't help.
Another good solution is to buy iRiver E10 from ebay and rip all the music to ogg Vorbis q10 using aoTuV encoder. I can't distinguish it from lossless, while the regular Vorbis encoder isn't totally transparent. Sticking to the lossless is a bit misleading in portable media world because in most cases it's the hardware to create the SQ bottleneck, not the file format. Many lossless ready DAPs don't even reach the quality level of mp3 320kb/s.
You can also consider the vintage Rio Karma as very good sounding DAP. It's convertible to flash with a 32GB CompactFlash + adapter.

Jun 20, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 21
Looks like there is no real consensus, others describe the Teclast as J***..

For my Vibez' the Beta Firmware is not doing it, i still get the same problems they just got more numerous and once it works it doesn't shutdown in mid-play anymore but locks out after the playlist is empty
Maybe it gets better once replayced if they do it

As the OPs quest was for SQ only, do you think without any effects and amped, is the soundquality of Teclast and Meizu superior to the Vibez' ?

Jun 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 21
you cannot conclude by brand name.
Teclast has many model. Some are really junk.
T39 is one of the best flac player. I have to agree.
But T39 has been discontinued in china.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utilisateur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like there is no real consensus, others describe the Teclast as J***..

For my Vibez' the Beta Firmware is not doing it, i still get the same problems they just got more numerous and once it works it doesn't shutdown in mid-play anymore but locks out after the playlist is empty
Maybe it gets better once replayced if they do it

As the OPs quest was for SQ only, do you think without any effects and amped, is the soundquality of Teclast and Meizu superior to the Vibez' ?

Jun 20, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 21
There was a fake Rockchip based T39 equipped with a microSD slot. The original, Telechips based has got none and this is the good sounding one. I consider SQ only with all EQ effects off, and using my own criteria, the Vibez sounds bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back