Best FLAC player for PC?
Nov 19, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #76 of 229
Quote:
all wasapi does is make it difficult to pause your music and watch a youtube video. The windows mixer is bit perfect. There is no need for wasapi. 

Correction, Windows Vista/7/8 mixer can be bitperfect, but from the moment concurrent streams are active, it no longer is bitperfect.

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #77 of 229
Quote:
Great, thanks. Seems to work fine. Very much enjoying this quirky little APlayer. Has a very rich bass quality, lots of detail.

And the sound is very "transparent". I'm glad that you uderstand how good it is!

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #78 of 229
Used foobar for years, just switched to Jriver. I use ASIO so I can pause and watch video, I do most of my listening while I surf so WASAPI is kind of inconvenient.
I find the sound quality between foobar and Jriver to be pretty similar but the organization in Jriver is far superior. I tried to get a cover art layout in foobar with facets but it was way too slow over the network.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #79 of 229
Quote:

Correction, Windows Vista/7/8 mixer can be bitperfect, but from the moment concurrent streams are active, it no longer is bitperfect.

Thanks, I wasn't aware, but that makes sense.

That being said... would you ever have concurrent streams going on while actively listening? The only time I have a concurrent stream would be while I'm gaming and listening to music. But, maybe someone else can chime in where this might be a problem. Wasapi just straight up doesn't let you have concurrent streams. It's not a bad failsafe, but kinda redundant and a pain IMO.

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #80 of 229
Quote:
Thanks, I wasn't aware, but that makes sense.

That being said... would you ever have concurrent streams going on while actively listening? The only time I have a concurrent stream would be while I'm gaming and listening to music. But, maybe someone else can chime in where this might be a problem. Wasapi just straight up doesn't let you have concurrent streams. It's not a bad failsafe, but kinda redundant and a pain IMO.

You make a good point there. However, do note that having a Youtube video open, even if it's stopped, is a stream on its own.

I personally find DirectSound to work just fine, but I use a higher quality resampler, along with VSTs, so bitperfect isn't usable for me on most scenarios. And gaming is certainly a scenario where bitperfect audio playback can't be used.

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #82 of 229
I good solution to the above problem is to buy one of those semi-pro audio interfaces with more than one stereo pair output.

So you can O/P using one set of drivers to your speakers, say foobar via WASAPI, and default all the rest to your headphones via another O/P pair.

It's a really handy facility sometimes. Not expensive either. 

Nov 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #83 of 229
Quote:
Used foobar for years, just switched to Jriver. I use ASIO so I can pause and watch video, I do most of my listening while I surf so WASAPI is kind of inconvenient.
I find the sound quality between foobar and Jriver to be pretty similar but the organization in Jriver is far superior. I tried to get a cover art layout in foobar with facets but it was way too slow over the network.

I have J-River and I noticed that FooBar Waspai... screws my Video Game Sounds up... which makes me rather angry so I might switch to jRiver... although I like FooBar because it doesn't use to much memory, it's such a small program <3...but maybe I'll use jRiver more...
Quote:
I good solution to the above problem is to buy one of those semi-pro audio interfaces with more than one stereo pair output.

So you can O/P using one set of drivers to your speakers, say foobar via WASAPI, and default all the rest to your headphones via another O/P pair.

It's a really handy facility sometimes. Not expensive either. 

That's interesting to :D

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #84 of 229
Quote:
I have J-River and I noticed that FooBar Waspai... screws my Video Game Sounds up... which makes me rather angry so I might switch to jRiver... although I like FooBar because it doesn't use to much memory, it's such a small program <3...but maybe I'll use jRiver more...
That's interesting to :D

... disable Wasapi

Nov 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #88 of 229
Quote:
Doesn't DirectSound still go through an Int > Float > Dither > Int conversion even if you have volume at 100% and are set to the same sample rate as your music? (Windows 7/8)

If output format matches file format, no conversion occurs. But even in the event it's mismatched, everything happening on 32 Float bypasses any potential degradation.

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #90 of 229
Quote:
... disable Wasapi

Yes I already figured that out a long time ago.. thanks though <3

On another note... my pc flipped out today and my GPU ran EVERYTHING at half fps while me Sound was like TERRIBLE... reset the thing and it worked again... IT BE THE CURSE OF CYBER MONDAY... I pissed off the Technology gods some how e.e

non the less... I've yet to try jRiver... not sure if I will e.e any one have any reason why it's WAY better than FooBar :O. I do like how clean my FooBar is btw

LOOK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back