Best Fixie (bicycle) for the money???
Mar 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Tadashi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read that a lot of people like the Kilo TT that bikesdirect sells. Your best bet for info is to check bikefroums.net's fixed/SS forum. Personally I love my Bianchi Pista.

The bad thing about bikeforums is there are too many elitist arseholes on there where if you don't own an Orbea or something of the like, you're shunned at and everything else is junk.

Look at it this way, road bikes for the most part are the same. Everybody uses the same geometry, same gruppo, everything. You can pretty much connect the dots with the parts between bikes. Unlike MTB's where everything is different, and plays a more significant role, it's not worth the price difference IMO. If anything, you can buy the bike from bikesdirect, then just go buy the frame of the bike you're really after, and still be ahead wallet wise and have the same, if not better built bike...

Mar 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bad thing about bikeforums is there are too many elitist arseholes on there where if you don't own an Orbea or something of the like, you're shunned at and everything else is junk.

Look at it this way, road bikes for the most part are the same. Everybody uses the same geometry, same gruppo, everything. You can pretty much connect the dots with the parts between bikes. Unlike MTB's where everything is different, and plays a more significant role, it's not worth the price difference IMO. If anything, you can buy the bike from bikesdirect, then just go buy the frame of the bike you're really after, and still be ahead wallet wise and have the same, if not better built bike...

That is true, I mostly spend my time on the fixed gear single speed forum which is mostly a bunch of hipsters, but it is not too bad as long so you come in sounding realy pretentous about how you are going to be a bad a** velodrome/kerin racer(and have never done either before.)

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #18 of 27
The BFSSFG forum is essentially useless.

If you're in Boston, get on Craigslist. There are a ton of messengers there.

I think Bikes Direct sells a Motobecane for around $500 complete. If you plan on doing any serious riding, expect to shell out another $500 replacing components after a month.

If you've never ridden fixed before, buy a garage sale/pawn shop/craigslist beater road bike for about ~$20, and spend another $70 - $200 on a decent track rear wheel. You'll be able to use the existing parts on the bike (get some BMX chainring bolts to convert the cranks to SS) and you're good to go.

Ride with a brake for at least the first month. You will thank me.

The Bianchi Pista is way overpriced for what you're getting. Save your money.

I suggest you do a bit of homework before you bite the bullet and buy something new. Do a google search for "Sheldon Brown" and read everything he's ever written. You will be a better person for it.
So yeah, for what you're looking to spend, a conversion is definitely the way to go.

Don't say 'fixie.' Ever.

Finally, here's where I brag about my latest track bike:

2076446582_10a6b27b4c.jpg

and in action :-D :

2076455736_bccb4daf29.jpg

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathisia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm all about local business, but, I have had 2 terrible customer service experiences at ACME.

If your not dressed like a hipster, they don't want to talk to you.

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience, I thought it was a cool place. I am often wrong. Yes, the OP should start at Craig's List.

May 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
I'm looking to buy a fixed gear bicycle.
The only options I currently know of are purchasing a name-brand (trek, bianchi, fuji, etc.) from a local shop for 500+ dollars, buying an old frame and the parts separate, or getting one from bikesdirect.com for 350 dollars (best option I think).

Are there any other online vendors or options I should consider rather than buying used locally?

Thanks fellow cyclists,

Wyatt

I recently happened upon Solé Bicycle Co. while searching for a new fixie. Their bikes are really cool looking, and only cost $349. I ended up ordering one and am glad I did. Great, solid fixed gear bike.

-Jeff

May 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #21 of 27
^ I too would like my fixed-gear dropped from a C130 with a T10 chute.

Been looking at the NJS track bikes on ebay, and sure would be nice to get one early next year. Time for another gratuitous pic of my last fixed-gear. 

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #23 of 27
Pigmode, what are those brass-colored ferrules between the hub flanges and the spokes?  I've never seen that before.

Dec 27, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 27
If you are still searching for fixie bicycle and want to buy the bicycle so you can go through this fixie bike site this will  surely help you  to gather more information regarding the fixie  and select the fixed gear bicycles of your choice.

Dec 27, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:
If you are still searching for fixie bicycle and want to buy the bicycle so you can go through this fixie bike site this will  surely help you  to gather more information regarding the fixie  and select the fixed gear bicycles of your choice.

If this is addressed to me, I've decided to build up a small-geared singlespeed road frame instead. Have decided against the fixed-gear for now, because my knees have been showing signs of old injuries, and to tell the truth I don't know how many more miles I have left in them.

Been doing a lot of climbing on the agressive (17-24%) small hills we have here, and I'd like to climb Haleakala two more time next year, so priorities need to be set. Its a moving target, so we'll see how it goes with time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back