Best Fixie (bicycle) for the money???
Feb 25, 2008 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a fixed gear bicycle.
The only options I currently know of are purchasing a name-brand (trek, bianchi, fuji, etc.) from a local shop for 500+ dollars, buying an old frame and the parts separate, or getting one from bikesdirect.com for 350 dollars (best option I think).

Are there any other online vendors or options I should consider rather than buying used locally?

Thanks fellow cyclists,

Wyatt

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 27
One word: Bianchi

d325f72c65.jpg

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnewport /img/forum/go_quote.gif
600 dollars
frown.gif

God Bianchi's are sexy though. I could just get a Huffy and spray paint it that wonderful sea-foam green.

Yeah, and I could paint ibuds metallic gray and call them SE530s.

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:51 AM Post #5 of 27
I assume you're looking for a road bike? There's as much variety with fixies as there is with headphone amps, so you should probably be more specific on what you're after! I ride a Bianchi Pista, but I reckon you could do better for the money. Try a Surley Steamroller, a Cannondale Capo, or Kona Paddywagon. If you want really cheap, look for a SE Draft.

Believe it or not, but building your own will probably cost you as much, if not more, than buying one ready made if you want a nice custom job.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ride a Bianchi Pista,...

gz, so you ride the bike in the picture? If you had to do it over would you still ride that bike? And curious, what's the weight?

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 27
Yep, like the one in the photo (2007 model). Never weighed it tho - it's not that heavy, but not the lightest stock fixie either. I'm a fan of a clean, classic style steel frame, which is where the Pista is good. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of the decals, which are applied before the clearcoat, so they can't be removed. And I don't think the stock components are that great - time will tell I guess. If I was going to get another bike, I'd probably go for a custom job built around a Steamroller frame to keep it affordable. But doing that would still cost more than a stock Pista!

Oh, and if you're going to ride fixed, it's a good idea to still have at least a front brake for emergency use! Trust me.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gz76 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was going to get another bike, I'd probably go for a custom job built around a Steamroller frame to keep it affordable. But doing that would still cost more than a stock Pista!

Oh, and if you're going to ride fixed, it's a good idea to still have at least a front brake for emergency use! Trust me.

Brakes on a fixie?! Blasphemy.
But I'll look into the Steamroller, never heard of it.

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 27
The current model Steamroller frame comes in a burgundy colour, however the previous model came in a flecked charcoal colour. I reckon the charcoal looks better if you can find one - some places will probably still have some older stock floating around.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brakes on a fixie?! Blasphemy.

I really never use my brake - you don't need to with a fixie, but I'm not suicidal either. I also wear a helmet. I'm so uncool!

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #11 of 27
I used to work directly under the owner of Bikesdirect, and as much as I hate recommending that place...it's by far your best buy for the dollar....

Feb 25, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to work directly under the owner of Bikesdirect, and as much as I hate recommending that place...it's by far your best buy for the dollar....

I have read that a lot of people like the Kilo TT that bikesdirect sells. Your best bet for info is to check bikefroums.net's fixed/SS forum. Personally I love my Bianchi Pista.

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 27
Check craigslist if you don't want to spend too much. I got mine for ~$200 a few years ago and have put about 1000 miles on it in that time. It's currently undergoing a SS conversion (flip flop rear wheel) because it messes with my form on the road bike (which I race of course) and coasting is a good thing.

Depending on how you're using it I'd recommend brakes as well. You don't really need them until someone decides to jump off the sidewalk in front of you or turn in front of you in their car, then you really need them a lot.

What kind of gearing are you looking at? I was using a 46/16 for my fixed but going to 46/18 for the SS.

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 27
You list your location as Kansas City/Boston. If you are in KC just now, you should go down to the Acme Bicycle Co. It's a little shop on 18th Street, just east of Oak [in the Crossroads District], and they're really into unusual bikes. They know fixed gears well.

I have a stout MTB frame I would give you, but you probably want to make it road bike based.

Laz

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You list your location as Kansas City/Boston. If you are in KC just now, you should go down to the Acme Bicycle Co. It's a little shop on 18th Street, just east of Oak [in the Crossroads District], and they're really into unusual bikes. They know fixed gears well.

I have a stout MTB frame I would give you, but you probably want to make it road bike based.

Laz

I'm all about local business, but, I have had 2 terrible customer service experiences at ACME.

If your not dressed like a hipster, they don't want to talk to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back