Best/favorite Rock albums
Dec 30, 2001 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
Alright, i'm getting a little bored with my collection and i'm looking for cd's to buy that i may have missed out, so fire away!

Oh, a few rules: NO PINK FLOYD (got some), GRATEFUL DEAD (dont want any), PHISH (what...you kidding me?)....dont ask.

TIA

George

biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2001 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 34
Pearl Jam, start with the newest studio-work and work your way back. These guys are the best 'classic-esque' modern rock band there is.

The Who's Quadrophenia is another good bet.

Oysterhead is intresting and eclectic. The music is good but the lyrics don't make a whole lot of sense. Really exactly what you expect from a merger of Les Claypool (Primus), the guitarist from Phish (Trey something, I'm not a Phish fan), and Stewart Copeland (former Police drummer). This was one of 2 CDs I bough all this year. The other was Sgt Peppers.

Also, you might try branching out of rock and roll into other genres.

If you're a heavy drinker you might try some Bob Marley, or if you're an angry drunk that causes trouble, Johnny Cash.
wink.gif
Bob Marley is perfect when your drunk. Johnny Cash is just a great story teller even if most of the songs are about serving time or involve a "legend" and a "gun".

If you like more mellow stuff, check-out Ani Difranco! I'd start with Dilate then Living in Clip (a double live CD) and branch-out from there. Of course, Ani's lyrics are anything but mellow!

Also, get some older Rush if you don't have any. Start with 2112 or Moving Pictures.

You know, a list of stuff you *do* have would be helpful to figure out what your tastes are and to ensure we don't recomend something you already have.

Dec 30, 2001 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 34
trey anastasio*

oysterhead stuff isnt much like phish from what my friend tells me so maybe you would it better..

ani is cool, i prefer beth orton's trailer park.. awesome album.. can't go wrong with trailer park.. find some reviews online..

i love the verve theyre my favorite band.. too bad they broke up.. they did bittersweet symphony but my favorite album was a northern soul.. tha came before bittersweet.. i think its an awesome album.. lot of nick mccabe(guitarist) on it unlike urban hymns..

Dec 30, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 34
Hey, George, see my response in that other thread to redshifter.

Dec 31, 2001 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 34
Try Johnny Lang's "Lie to Me" or anything by Albert Collins. Look in the Blues section

Dec 31, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
Okay, here ya go. One for every decade...

The Beatles--White Album
The Who--Who's Next
Jeff Beck--Wired
Nivana--Nevermind

Um, dude, you skipped the 80's...or was that on purpose?

Substitute (pun intended) one of those 70's albums for Talking Heads' Remain in Light which I think, technically, was 1979, but to me was an 80's album.

Dec 31, 2001 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 34
Sorry. It was REM during the 80s (I was conscious! Really!) They seemed like a band that mattered and they were a Southern Band ... you have to hand it to some of those southern bands.

[size=small]REM – "Green" "Murmur"[/size]

Jan 1, 2002 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 34
The 70's sucked in my opinion, everyone died, we had the crappiest decade for the Nation and so on. The 80's were kick ass, we blamed the russians for everything and we had a dope running the country. I love the new wave stuff that was happening back then...wish i was older so i could of bought a lot of that stuff on vinyl
frown.gif

Hell, i have GNR, Nirvana, some REM, hmm...maybe i need a healthy dose of early 80's pop/new wave. I've been finding myself on kazaa and bearshare searching for 80's mp3's.

George

Jan 1, 2002 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 34
Uhhh, the 70's:

(and I promise not to mention Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin)

Aerosmith
Boston
Elton John
Jethro Tull
Eagles
Doors
CCR
Steely Dan
Doobie Brothers
Grand Funk Railroad
Bad Company
Black Sabbath
Nazareth
The Who
Santana
The Moody Blues
The Steve Miller Band
Chicago
Ted Nugent
Fleetwood Mac
Queen
Robin Trower
Blue Oyster Cult
Jeff Beck
Allman Brothers

Jan 1, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 34
LOL, the 70's still sucked, most of those artists you list fell on their ass from drugs and infighting...among other things. The 80's were just more fun, like i said i wish i was older and had mtv so i could've really enjoyed it much more. Thanks for not listing Pink Floyd
smily_headphones1.gif

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back