Best external hard drive for storing music?
Apr 18, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by exec_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would recommend to get an internal HDD with an enclosure. Maybe it's a little more expensive, but then you definitively know what you got. Probably samsung's HD501LJ is the best bang for the buck at the moment: 500GB, SATA II, 16MB cache...and that all for about 100€ (~135$) (at least here in germany). Then you can get a good enclosure with an internal SATA port and USB or eSATA interconnect. Putting both together isn't a big deal.

Wow, thanks. Didn't know they have 500 gigs model already.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 25
I always wait for black friday to come around. I got a 250gb external for $30.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #19 of 25
I used 2 laptop hdd with USB connected cheap price enclosure. Both are fujitsu 80bg and 100bg. One thing is those no need power plug in like desktop hdd requirement and space is small for put it elsewhere in my backpack. The price is going down now and i manage to get one 160-200gb laptop hdd in near future. This amount is enough for me to take my music and films around for months. Considering for traveling factor, i worried about shock protection of 3.5" HDD than 2.5" one. One more reason i have to separate my data in small hdd cause it's hurt if you lose all your data in one big, let say 500gb, HDD in one disappointing day.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #20 of 25
I use a LaCie 500GB USB drive for my music. It has an offboard power supply, which is better than being dependent upon bus power. It's quiet, nearly silent, until the fan comes on. It goes to sleep when the laptop does, wakes back up when I restart Slimserver in the morning. I like it. About $180 from Newegg.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #21 of 25
Anyone have any suggestions for a portable, external hard drive that includes it's own rechargable power supply? That way I could connect it with my Archos AV500 on the go. I think Archos sells a 40G one, anyone know of something bigger?

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 25
Went down this road not long ago. Thought I'd done my homework and picked an enclosure based on durability/reliability claims and really didn't pay much attention to the cosmetic end of things. Went with the Macally enclosure. Has two Firewire and 1 USB 2 ports. External power supply. Only complaint at the time was the bright light. It's intense to be sure. A bit of tape solved that. Figured I was golden until about 3 months into ownership. For no apparent reason, the USB went south on me. Firewire continues to work perfectly but nothing would resurrect the USB. It's now been RMA's to Newegg after a good bit of discussion for an exchange. During the same general time frame, I also picked up a Lacie 350GB. It's been terrific. Not even a hint of trouble. After two enclosures have given me issues, I think I'll pay the extra $$ from here on and go with something like the Lacie when I need to go larger. For some reason, my luck with enclosures is just plain bad. Your results may differ though.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seagate typically tops the list for reliability, with Western Digital a close second. New Maxtors should be a safe bet, too, as I understand that they're basically just re-branded Seagates.

Well for every success story you hear about one company's drives, there will be some one else with a different experience! My experience over 10 years and many, many drives has only taught me that I (maybe just me) seem to encounter every Seagate that's destined to fail prematurely. I've only had one not die on me (my current one, which I'm not happy about having but it came with the machine). Holding my breath though.

I've had great experiences, by and large, with WD, Hitachi, and Maxtor. I have yet to encounter trouble with any of these drives. I stay away from La Cie because of experiences of colleagues losing data, though I don't have any personal experience with their drives.

In terms of fans, etc. the aluminum drive enclosures I guess are passively cooling the thing, and so long as you keep it in a reasonably well venilated space, it should be fine. I guess 7200 RPM is the bottom line these days, 10k is not really worth springing for most applications. Also, it's my personal preference to have several small drives (around 0.5 TB) instead of massive drives (pushing 0.75 - 1 TB).

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by unclejr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well for every success story you hear about one company's drives, there will be some one else with a different experience! My experience over 10 years and many, many drives has only taught me that I (maybe just me) seem to encounter every Seagate that's destined to fail prematurely. I've only had one not die on me (my current one, which I'm not happy about having but it came with the machine). Holding my breath though.

I've had great experiences, by and large, with WD, Hitachi, and Maxtor. I have yet to encounter trouble with any of these drives. I stay away from La Cie because of experiences of colleagues losing data, though I don't have any personal experience with their drives.

In terms of fans, etc. the aluminum drive enclosures I guess are passively cooling the thing, and so long as you keep it in a reasonably well venilated space, it should be fine. I guess 7200 RPM is the bottom line these days, 10k is not really worth springing for most applications. Also, it's my personal preference to have several small drives (around 0.5 TB) instead of massive drives (pushing 0.75 - 1 TB).

Using TB as ref unit! So, 0.5 TB is 500 gigs? (and that is now a "small drive"??)

Soon it will be, "Ahhh, remember the days when you needed those big brick ipod/zunes/x5s to hold a measly 100 GB?"
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back