Best Erik Satie album?
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #4 of 11
The two albums recorded by Pascal Roge in the 80s are very beautiful and are probably my favourite renditions of the classic pieces, unfortunately the running order of the CDs jumps about a bit in time, so it's not as cohesive an experience as it might be:

1. 3 Gymnopedies & Other Piano Works (1984)
2. Piano Works (1989)

For complete piano works my absolute favourite is the 5 CD Complete Solo Piano Music by Jean-Yves Thibaudet.

For the Rosicrucian period you can also try:

Musique de la Rose-Croix (Goran Gorišek & Richard Cameron-Wolfe) (2006)

And for non-piano Satie:

Socrate (Richard Bernas) (1990)

If you want some recommendations on the cubist or furniture music periods just let me know!

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reinbert de Leeuw.
After I heard this performance, all others seemed superfluous.

He's very slow though, don't you think he labours the point a bit? In my view the Dutch players make Satie sound dour and technical, the Italians make him sound bombastic... the French players achieve a sensitivity towards the material that reveal all the colours of Satie, not just the obvious ones.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's very slow though, don't you think he labours the point a bit?

No (evidently). He gets more out of the composition than any other artist.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexnasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my view the Dutch players make Satie sound dour and technical, the Italians make him sound bombastic... the French players achieve a sensitivity towards the material that reveal all the colours of Satie, not just the obvious ones.

These are rather unthoughtful blanket statements...

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No (evidently). He gets more out of the composition than any other artist.

These are rather unthoughtful blanket statements...

They are generalisations, but not unthoughtful as I believe I've heard most key recordings of Satie since the 50s, it's just my opinion. I could state all the specific examples that led me to make this statement but then what's the point, it's a debate on music not an ABX test after all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back