Best equipment for 200 dollars
Dec 30, 2013 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wintage

New Head-Fier
Hi, i live in Brazil and i have this once in a year opportunity to buy things from US, and I need your help to decide what is best for me, with a price range around 200~220$

I've been looking the HD 598, 558, ATH M50 and other headphones below 200$; but plugging these in an onboard soundcard is worth the price? What soundcards/amps do you recommend? My main music genres are bass-oriented (house, chillstep, electro, rock etc), and I'll be using it for movies and some gaming as well.

ps: sorry for my bad english

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 25
Of your original choices, M50 goes best with your genres. The V-Modas are worth looking at too, though I don't know anything about using them for games. DT990 is a solid choice for all those genres too, but you should be prepared for its having more treble than the others. I can't comment on those two Fiios, except that I'd be a little concerned about using Fiios, which are themselves reputed to be warm, with bassier headphones.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 25
Don't know about the Fiio amps, but the DT 990 is a good pick for a "fun" can.  It is open and has a much bigger sound stage than the closed M50; it is more comfortable (for the vast majority) than the M50; and I find it to have superior sound than the also "V" shaped EQ M50.  The M-50 leaks less; isolates more; and is better suited for portable or on the go use.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 25
Of your original choices, M50 goes best with your genres. The V-Modas are worth looking at too, though I don't know anything about using them for games. DT990 is a solid choice for all those genres too, but you should be prepared for its having more treble than the others. I can't comment on those two Fiios, except that I'd be a little concerned about using Fiios, which are themselves reputed to be warm, with bassier headphones.

What amp/dac do you recommend?

Don't know about the Fiio amps, but the DT 990 is a good pick for a "fun" can.  It is open and has a much bigger sound stage than the closed M50; it is more comfortable (for the vast majority) than the M50; and I find it to have superior sound than the also "V" shaped EQ M50.  The M-50 leaks less; isolates more; and is better suited for portable or on the go use.

M50's costs 50 dollars less than the beyers, can i spend that difference in a better DAC/amp or should i go with 990 + Fiio E7 or E11 (still a dilemma)?

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #8 of 25
E7 is a dac/amp. However, E11 is only an amp.
If you intend to use the headphones with laptop, a dac/amp is preferred (such as E7k, E10 or E17). If you want to connect the headphones to the desktop computer, a pci soundcard like Asus Xonar is a good choice (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS/).

It is normally suggested to spend more for headphones than other equipments like dac/amp. If possible, you could pick DT 990.

Dec 30, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 25
If you intend to use the headphones with laptop, a dac/amp is preferred (such as E7k, E10 or E17). If you want to connect the headphones to the desktop computer, a pci soundcard like Asus Xonar is a good choice (http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Headphone-Audio-Card/dp/B0045JHJSS/).

It is normally suggested to spend more for headphones than other equipments like dac/amp. If possible, you could pick DT 990.

The asus DG by itself works fine with DT 990? Or should i buy another amp (my price range is about 220 dollars and the beyers are 150$)

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #10 of 25
You would need only a soundcard or external DAC for M50, but for DT990 you'd need an amp too. Does anyone know if E5 would work as an amp for DT990?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 25
If you intend to use the headphones with laptop, a dac/amp is preferred (such as E7k, E10 or E17). If you want to connect the headphones to the desktop computer, a pci soundcard like Asus Xonar is a good choice.

I will use in my desktop computer, but the Asus Xonar DG is good as a fiio? I don't have to buy another amp?

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 25
I think Asus xonar DG can drive phone with an impedance upto 600 Ohm  (I hope that I am not wrong, however, check the technical specification and also review).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647040/dt-990-pro-250ohm-without-amp

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #13 of 25
  I think Asus xonar DG can drive phone with an impedance upto 600 Ohm  (I hope that I am not wrong, however, check the technical specification and also review).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/647040/dt-990-pro-250ohm-without-amp

Many people seems to notice a lack of volume using only the asus and the beyers. I never had a 'decent' pair of headphones so i don't know how it will sound for me. I think i'm gonna stay with the Fiio E11 (only amp). Will I lose too much without a DAC?

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #14 of 25
it is better to get a dac/amp (E17 or E7k or E10). DAC can improve sound quality by providing clean signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back