Best entry-level gaming cans?
Oct 8, 2007 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Spartan 3

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, my first post on here was regarding some cheapo earphones I bought for $15. Anyway, to the point.

I have a cheapo speaker system that suits my needs, but unfortunately, me slightly turning up the bass resulted in my next door neighbor going nuts over my gaming. This is about the 10th time it has happened (and I don't even have it that loud). Being fed up with the situation, I want to enter the nirvana known as overhead cans.

I listen to mostly Alternative Rock, Rock, Rap now and then, a lot of instrumental/techno variants, and I game on the Xbox 360. I'd prefer to have pretty good surround sound that's immersive for gaming, but not something that'll cause me to become deaf after a few years.

My budget is preferably around $50 but I'm willing to go no higher than $100 if it's worth the money. Please note that the $100 is the extreme end. My preference would be $50-70.

COMFORT matters a lot to me. I want something I can wear for 12-15 hours straight without feeling any kind of ear strain or anything that would disorient me from my experience.

I'd also like to have something that looks nice (something like the Senns HD-555, I like the look of those), and something that can take a minor beating through wear and tear and not break apart.

Knock yourselves out.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 8
Equation Audio RP-21.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 8
audio technica a500. generally most people like the a500/700/900 series for gaming

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan 3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...something I can wear for 12-15 hours straight...

Senn HD280's
wink.gif

Seriously, I can't think of a single headphone I've owned that I could tolerate for 12 - 15 hours STRAIGHT... probably the most comfortable headphones I've had for extended listening periods - 4 hours or so, with breaks to fix my hair - are the DT880's, but WAY above your budget and need a good amp. If you like the look of the HD555's, you can get them online (J&R.com with free shipping) for a penny under your budget, albeit at the extreme end. I have the 555's that I use for REAL gaming, you know PC stuff
wink.gif
- they're really comfortable and considering that I use them directly out of my speakers headphone output, sound pretty darn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back