Best entry level audiophile headphones?
Nov 25, 2012 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SolidSnake22

New Head-Fier
I have been looking to the guide on headfi and found out these headphones:

$120-$140 Price Range

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO - I loved the look of these and they looked my kind of headphones but the price was not in my range. 
Ultrasone HFI-580 - I saw these headphones and I was going to buy them. Not sure about the durability.
Ultrasone HFI-780 - Not in my price range, worth an upgrade from the 580?
AKG K271 MK II - Worth the price on Amazon. Not sure if these are good for my tastes.
Shure SRH-440- I can buy these from a store near my house. Not on amazon. Not sure if good for my tastes.
Shure SRH-840 - I was going to buy these, I went to the store to get these but the price was too much for me. The sound quality seemed to be fit for what I wanted.
Audio Technica ATH M50 - I love the look of these headphones but not sure if they are my style for Trance music.
V-Moda M-80 - If I found a pair for 120$, I'd get these. A bit too small though.

Which one is best for mainly Trance music and Pink Floyd?

Here are two songs: Please test them out and see which is the best headphones for these songs:

The vocals,the piano, the thump, the melody:
Dash Berlin - Man on the Run

Relaxing song with a nice thump and chillng vocals, variety of instruments:
Pink Floyd - Us and them 

Please tell me in detail, which headphones is the best for Trance music and rock/metal.

Thanks,
SolidSnake22

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:
I wouldn't really class the dt770 and shure 840 entry level headphones they are amazing quality. I think out of the entry level the shure 440 are the best in terms of clarity.

I would have to concur with this.  The SRH440 are probably one of the best bang for the buck closed headphones for ~$100.  I own them (as well as "higher tier" headphones), and my SRH440 get regular use and I don't feel like I'm missing out or let down after switching from the DT880 / DT770 or even some of the expensive cans I've owned such as the SA5000.  They're flat, clear, and smooth and offer an impressive soundstage for their price and closed design.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

I would have to concur with this.  The SRH440 are probably one of the best bang for the buck closed headphones for ~$100.  I own them (as well as "higher tier" headphones), and my SRH440 get regular use and I don't feel like I'm missing out or let down after switching from the DT880 / DT770 or even some of the expensive cans I've owned such as the SA5000.  They're flat, clear, and smooth and offer an impressive soundstage for their price and closed design.

Do you think I should buy the SRH 440 or the DT770 PRO ? Please tell me what is the best for these songs:
Man on the run - dash berlin (vocals,piano)
us and them - pink floyd (vocals,instruments

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 11
I have been looking to the guide on headfi and found out these headphones:

$120-$140 Price Range

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO - I loved the look of these and they looked my kind of headphones but the price was not in my range. 
Ultrasone HFI-580 - I saw these headphones and I was going to buy them. Not sure about the durability.
Ultrasone HFI-780 - Not in my price range, worth an upgrade from the 580?
AKG K271 MK II - Worth the price on Amazon. Not sure if these are good for my tastes.
Shure SRH-440- I can buy these from a store near my house. Not on amazon. Not sure if good for my tastes.
Shure SRH-840 - I was going to buy these, I went to the store to get these but the price was too much for me. The sound quality seemed to be fit for what I wanted.
Audio Technica ATH M50 - I love the look of these headphones but not sure if they are my style for Trance music.
V-Moda M-80 - If I found a pair for 120$, I'd get these. A bit too small though.

Which one is best for mainly Trance music and Pink Floyd?

Here are two songs: Please test them out and see which is the best headphones for these songs:

The vocals,the piano, the thump, the melody:
Dash Berlin - Man on the Run

Relaxing song with a nice thump and chillng vocals, variety of instruments:
Pink Floyd - Us and them 

Please tell me in detail, which headphones is the best for Trance music and rock/metal.

Thanks,
SolidSnake22

[size=1.7em] [/size]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006NL5SM/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1353872376&sr=8-1&pi=SL75. Only $172

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
i love man on the run.. listening to the pink floyd song now. the DT 770 is an excellent choice. what are you going to be plugging them into??

Good. So the piano part and vocals should sound brilliant :p ? I will be plugging them to a PC unamped. DT770  or HFI 780? I like both.

What amps should I get? If I need an amp, how much does an affordable one cost?  

Nov 25, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
i would suggest either the HFI 780 or the DT770.
both are excellent pairs of cans for trance

I also listen mostly to trance and I can attest that my friend's DT770 sounds superb with tiesto. Keep us updated about your choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back