Best EMU 1212m settings for me?
Dec 6, 2004 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BrianS

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my 1212m back from an RMA. What settings do you all use? +4 or -10? 44, 48, 96, 192Khz? ASIO, kernel streaming, upsampling? What does it all mean? What settings in the mixer panel do you use? I listen to mainly mp3s and regular cds, rock, trance, alternative. Help a newbie out

thanks

Dec 7, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 12
Foobar ASIO -> -10 session (44.1 kHz) on E-MU software -> ASIO OUT 1/2 -> -2.0db trim pot -> ASIO send to I/O 1 and 2 -> Amp

No upsampling, no funny stuff, just straight signal
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope this helps, if you need more, just ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 12
I don't use foobar ....yet. What exactly is ASIO, does it improve sound? Thanks for the help

Dec 7, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Foobar is like Winamp or whatever media player you have. IMO, it is by far the best because of the simple and easy to use interface, plethora of plugins, and uses less RAM to run (at least in my experience).

ASIO is a component in foobar that bypasses kmixer processing in Windows, thus leaving you with pristine audio signals. ASIO does not improve the sound, kmixer messes it up. ASIO does not come with even the most complete versions of foobar, so it will be a separate d/l, but I can either e-mail it to you or give you a link to the developer of that plugin.

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
ASIO is a component in foobar that bypasses kmixer processing in Windows, thus leaving you with pristine audio signals. ASIO does not improve the sound, kmixer messes it up. ASIO does not come with even the most complete versions of foobar, so it will be a separate d/l, but I can either e-mail it to you or give you a link to the developer of that plugin.

ASIO was actually designed to be a professional audio interface with more functionality than DirectSound/WaveOut, and bypassing kMixer is just a side-effect of not being integrated into Windows.

Dec 7, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 12
keep in mind that if you use AAC or apple lossless like me, it's a bear/impossible to use foobar, so you might be better off using itunes then wave then direct signal out. i've noticed on my wharfdales a significant displeasing diff when i use any eq from patchmix (like bass tightener) versus a clean signal out. but on my grados i actually like the coloration for some reason. for my purposes i guess still having windows kmixer lurking in there isn't such a prob to my ears.

Dec 9, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Foobar ASIO -> -10 session (44.1 kHz) on E-MU software -> ASIO OUT 1/2 -> -2.0db trim pot -> ASIO send to I/O 1 and 2 -> Amp

No upsampling, no funny stuff, just straight signal
smily_headphones1.gif
Hope this helps, if you need more, just ask
smily_headphones1.gif

Whats the point in the -2.0db trim pot?

Dec 9, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kush_
Whats the point in the -2.0db trim pot?

To prevent a clipping signal from reaching the DAC (from what I've read it seems the DAC distorts when the signal maxes out for several samples ("clips") and bringing the signal down will prevent this distortion)

Dec 9, 2004 at 10:49 AM Post #11 of 12
I usually have foobar's volume set at -5db to stop clipping, is there any reason why using patchmix's trimpot would be any better?

Dec 9, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kush_
I usually have foobar's volume set at -5db to stop clipping, is there any reason why using patchmix's trimpot would be any better?

I also only use the volume control in foobar (but set to -2db) instead of the patchmix one. I figure doing so prevents the clipping from happening before it leaves the program and heads to the mixer. Otherwise it would be clipped on getting to the mixer and even if you reduce it in patchmix (the mixer), it's still essentially clipped although it's not making the DAC clipped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back