best 'el cheapo' headphones?
Nov 28, 2001 at 4:21 AM Post #46 of 94
Ehm, I guess I should make it clear that when I said that you guys must hate me, I was joking. Well, it's true that I feel bad and that I haven't been eating since I read the replies, and that I have contemplated jumping from the Grand Street bridge with my pro2 headphones on (they are already broken, so it wouldn't be much of a waste) but other than that, I am ok.

And I don't believe that anyone here can hear 20kHz sounds, if you are over 10 years old and can hear 20kHz sounds, you must have lived in a sound-proof locker all your life. Not saying that it is a bad thing, maybe some of those lockers are really nicely equipped, but..... ehm...
confused.gif

My wish for santa is that electronics get cheaper in Sweden. Hell, I saw PortaPros for $100 in a swedish web shop yesterday. The cold winter must make them crazy
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #48 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by jamie
senn mx500 or koss ksc-35? .... both are highly recommened in this forum....plz help me decide.

jamie:

If you can wait a few days, I am preparing a comparison of the mx400, mx500, and ks35.

Nov 28, 2001 at 4:33 AM Post #49 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
isn't it ironic that at school today we had a guest speaker about suicide???
eek.gif

Was he promoting it? j/k

Nov 28, 2001 at 6:47 AM Post #51 of 94
Quote:

And I don't believe that anyone here can hear 20kHz sounds, if you are over 10 years old and can hear 20kHz sounds, you must have lived in a sound-proof locker all your life. Not saying that it is a bad thing, maybe some of those lockers are really nicely equipped, but..... ehm...

In an informal test in a physics class a couple years ago, I was the last person to be able to hear the sound coming from the tone generator, it was somewhere around 21-22Khz. Yes, he tried turning it off and on and I could tell. It was just a high pitched hum though.

I have moderate tinnitus, I can hear it whenever I am in a normal room and want to hear it, but only notice it at night when it is quiet, and it is quite annoying when listening to headphones with classical music.

I used to listen at insane volume levels, but a couple years ago I lowered the volume a lot, as in by 15-20db or so. I used my Sony MDR-V200s off the reciever set to 3 or so, the only louder things I have heard then the music has been a nascar race, and a local group that felt it a good idea to play their music around 115-120db in a ~200 square foot room. OUCH.

Nov 28, 2001 at 1:50 PM Post #52 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by irony
And I don't believe that anyone here can hear 20kHz sounds, if you are over 10 years old and can hear 20kHz sounds, you must have lived in a sound-proof locker all your life.

Believe what you want. As I explained above, I can hear 20 KHz sounds, I'm 32 years old, and I spent most of my teenage years abusing my ears. The last hearing test I had in which I heard 20 KHz sounds was less than a month ago.

Nov 28, 2001 at 3:34 PM Post #53 of 94
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
I have extremely mild tinnitus -- a ringing in the ears -- which in my case is audible only when I have earplugs in or when I'm in an extremely quiet room. It's centered in the treble range, between 2500 and 12,000 Hz, though it's not a single tone but a combination.

Probable cause? I have no idea -- I first noticed it when I was very young -- maybe 5 or 6 years old. I asked my mom what that sound was when nothing was making noise. She got nervous and brought me for a hearing test, which was funny because I tested well better than normal. I don't have those test results now, but I'm willing to bet I didn't have the 18 KHz hole back then.

In any case, the tinnitus was not detectable in the test, since I heard all the test tones without problem. Yet it remains to this day. Someone told me that it can sometimes be caused by childhood diseases like chicken pox, which I did have. But I've never gotten confirmation.

Sounds a lot like what I have, it's very slight and in my case the frequency might be a bit higher (not sure) - I too had chicken pox, I've never heard anything about it causing tinnitus
confused.gif

I always thought mine was caused by years of listening to that annoying high frequency sound TVs (both 50hz and 100hz TVs) and computer monitors create... In the summer, when people have their windows open, I can even hear it when our neighbours turn on their TV...

Quote:

Originally posted by dgs

Was he promoting it? j/k

LOL
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #54 of 94
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you can wait a few days, I am preparing a comparison of the mx400, mx500, and ks35.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

let me know when you finish your review ok.... thx

Nov 28, 2001 at 5:55 PM Post #55 of 94
The KSC-35 are much better all-around than the MX-500. The MX-500 are still my favorite earbuds (I think they're better top to bottom than the Sony 888 for less money), but they just can't match the performance of the KSC-35.

Nov 28, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #56 of 94
in terms of best sounding ear-bud.. "The MX-500 are still my favorite earbuds (I think they're better top to bottom than the Sony 888 for less money)"... whats difference between the Senn. MX-500 and MX-400... sound-wise? or mx-500 has a fancy volumer control (which is useless IMO)

Nov 28, 2001 at 7:17 PM Post #57 of 94
Quote:

"The MX-500 are still my favorite earbuds (I think they're better top to bottom than the Sony 888 for less money)"... whats difference between the Senn. MX-500 and MX-400... sound-wise? or mx-500 has a fancy volumer control (which is useless IMO)

They both use the same driver. Supposedly the volume control is actually the only difference. However, some people feel that the resistance in the volume control actually improves the sound.

I actually like the volume control -- when my portable is packed away, or when the source has too much gain, I use the volume control on the MX500 quite a bit.

Nov 29, 2001 at 2:00 AM Post #58 of 94
man, what the hell was I thinking, I'm talking to a bunch of audiophiles, probably everyone here has that hearing range. I'm sorry, it's just in my physics class freshman year, most kids had trouble hearing the full range. I guess I just didn't remember what the test tones were being played at, they must hae been higher. 20-20,000 hz is supposed to be average, presumably for adults, as it's not hard to hear past this range, while seing past 20/20 is not nearly as common, I think. And the thing about swimmers, none of the swimmers in my class could hear what everyone else could. Could just be a coincidence (of about 6 people), and I don't think it harms your hearing, make your own assumptions. I'm not making good near-first impressions.
eek.gif

Nov 29, 2001 at 2:34 AM Post #60 of 94
.................................................. ...............................................
Supposedly the volume control is actually the only difference. However, some people feel that the resistance in the volume control actually improves the sound.
.................................................. ...............................................

hows does a volumer controller improves the sounds?....it just adjust the vol. from the source...eq. cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back