Best easily driven phones?
Nov 22, 2003 at 8:23 PM Post #31 of 47
I have the HFI-700's and they are easily driven by a portable. I also like their sound better than the Sony CD3000's but that's just one man's opinion :)

Nov 22, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #32 of 47
There is one thing about the SR-60's while they still sound nice, driving them off of weaker sources seems to zap the bass right out of them. To sound really good they need an amp.

Nov 22, 2003 at 11:42 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

There is one thing about the SR-60's while they still sound nice, driving them off of weaker sources seems to zap the bass right out of them. To sound really good they need an amp.

As usual Jasper I disagree with you.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Grado Sr60s with the stock comfy pads do indeed sound bass weak but if you put modded Senn pads (and especially flat pads) on them there's no way you could call them bass weak regardless of the source. The problem is the pads, not the phones themselves.

As a side note the Sr60s actually have much more bass than the Sr80s--I've confirmed this with my own ears and the headroom frequency graphs also show this. This is one of the reasons (the other being the strident treble of the Sr80s) why I prefer the Sr60s over the Sr80s.

Nov 22, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #34 of 47
The easiest to drive, most efficient phones I own are the Senn MX500's and they are so inexpensive that it's nuts not to own a pair. The Shure E2's are also quite efficient and isolate well if that's important to you. My Grado's are much better with the cheap Senn pads. They don't suffer from "forwardness" or brightness but they do allow you to hear detail. When it comes to portability, less is more, if you know what I mean.

Nov 23, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #38 of 47
Most of the high end stuff DESTROYS budget setups. The CD3000 is the worst of the bunch in this regard due to its bright presentation with a very emphasized upper treble (15khz+).

The DT250-80 is the opposite and it rolls off to 15 or more decibels by 20khz, whereas other phones are up mabye 10 or more decibels from the mean by 20khz!

Cheers,
Geek

Nov 23, 2003 at 11:43 AM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

I have the HFI-700's and they are easily driven by a portable.

Thanks Tyson, that's the information I needed to know.

Just placed an order for a pair of hfi-700
smily_headphones1.gif

To explain my choice is that those phones were easily available, just about the money i was to spend, and i was to find a pair that is good for my home setup, games and movies as well as for portable use. Later I'll be buying myself decent amp as for now on the headphone out on my marantz power amplifier will do. I hope. Thanks for all input.

Nov 23, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #42 of 47
For under $50 I have found that PX200's are the way to go. They provide that slight isolation when you need it and are easily driven (I use them out of my laptop headphone jack, or straight from a PCDP). They sound great, and at $30 from Ecost.com it is the way to go. I am sure that Eggo's, V6's, and others are great, but for what you need, I don't think its worth the money - I had a pr. of HD280's and while they sounded great...my PX200's do the same, if not better, and come in a nice package. If you are going to go with the V6's, get the replacement pads from Beyer - I hear they really improve things.

Isaiah

Nov 23, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Guyferd
I second dt250-80.
It is easy to drive and is not going to reveal the fault of your pcdp/portable amp whatsoever unlike other high end headphones, eg: rs-1,cd3k, w1000, etc.

I'm starting to think that the DT250 would be the best candidate. It's not the most easily driven, but the sound won't suffer greatly if you are driving it with a weak amp.

I find the 250's upper mids slightly dark. It is not a bright phone, but the highs are very well extended. Overall, it feels like a closed phone--to its detriment.

Nov 23, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Samuli
Thanks Tyson, that's the information I needed to know.

Just placed an order for a pair of hfi-700
smily_headphones1.gif

To explain my choice is that those phones were easily available, just about the money i was to spend, and i was to find a pair that is good for my home setup, games and movies as well as for portable use. Later I'll be buying myself decent amp as for now on the headphone out on my marantz power amplifier will do. I hope. Thanks for all input.

Be sure to tell us how you like the Ultrasones.

Nov 24, 2003 at 2:10 PM Post #45 of 47
I sure will.

I was auditioning hd600 and hd650 today and damn they sounded luxurious
smily_headphones1.gif
the bass was everything i wanted from a phone, i just hope the hfi-700 dvd isn't too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back