Best earphones for journalists?
Mar 19, 2008 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tangmp

New Head-Fier
I'm a journalist who constantly needs to transcribe recordings that have noisy backgrounds. I've grown frustrated with my old pair of inears from sony, and I'm looking around for another pair that might be able to give me clearer sound on my interviews.

I've got a budget of about US$200, looking at the Shure e3c, ultimate ears super.fi 5 eb or mylarone x3i or xbi. I'm not sure if the closed ears are better, so I'm not really looking at it.

I'm no audiophile, so I'm really looking for something that provides clear sound, blocks out the noise when I'm transcribing, and if it sounds good on my other music, that's a huge bonus.

Mar 19, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by woopididi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for a clear sound and a 200$ budget i'd go for Etymotic ER-4P.
you can read a lot about them in the forums, just search.

Amazon.com: Etymotic ER-4P Portable In-Ear Earphones: Electronics

I don't think anywhere here is gonna argue that that's the best deal under $200.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 9
yea, i another vote for the etymotics, for that application.

Mar 19, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 9
You won't get much better isolation than the ER-4s. They sound really good to boot. Unless you want to spring for customs they are probably your best bet.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 9
As a fellow journalist, I say spend and extra $30-$50 ($30 if the $20 discount is still in effect) and grab a pair of Sleek SA6s from soundearphones.com. I owned the ER4P (and had the S cable) and for music, to my ears the SA6s are just a better all-around phone (modular design, warmer sound, plenty of detail and bass). Check out the Sleek thread, see what you think. Are Etys the best under $200? That's a matter of taste, but they certainly are top 3. For transcribing tape/digital voice, it's all the same, but for music, the SA6s are more fun, musical, and a more balanced phone than the Etys to me. Again, I've owned both. Sold the ER4Ps a long time ago, for the Atrios. But the SA6s are a better investment (replaceable cable, bass ports, treble tubes, etc.). Better for wear and tear in the sense that you can replace parts, a plus for heavy use.

Anyway, read the threads on SA6. And save up a little more scratch and get the Sleeks.

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the advice, I've gone out and bought the ER-4p, and am tremendously happy with it.

I tried a demo model and the voice clarity just came through, compared to a lot of the other bassier phones. And since I listen to lots of jazz, it seems really nice on my ipod.

I would've considered the Sleek one too, if I didn't have to wait forever for shipping, and also the question of maintenance if it breaks down, especially since I live in Asia.

Thanks again for everyone who gave me an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back