Best earphones for DNB-ish music? (budget: around 100€)
Jan 29, 2009 at 1:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

glacius1

Head-Fier
So, I would like to own some earphones as they are really portable and nice to wear if you go around with the laptop compared to my huge Sennheiser 280HD Pro headphones, or just listening with an ipod/portable mp3. I would like something that allows you to produce electronic DNB oriented music decently (not something that extremly colours the mix), and at the same time that makes for an awesome listening. I want to show to my mates how DNB really sounds, and I can't since my current earphones are the mediocre 30€ ones everyone has, and doesn't give a powerful bass response and crisp highs, so listening to that music is not as exciting and just pointless.

I dont have much idea about the earphone market, but i've considered this ones so far:

Sennheiser cx400: Seen some reviews here, and some dude talking about them start to lose power, and actually getting the left channel totally muted after 2, 3 months, and same again after getting a replacement. That doesn't make me comfortable.

AKG K-324P Cromo: I have no idea since I couldn't find any reviews for this one, but afaik AKG is a respected brand.

Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro Extended Bass:

Super.fi 5 EB - Store - Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors

Someone mentioned these as "the ultimate DNB earphones". All reviews i've heard talk very good about this, only i've heard that wearing them for long periods of time can be a bit annoying because of that huge sort of mini-subwoofer thing (not because of the sub sound, but because of the size of it). Anyone can confirm on this? Also, im all about the bass, but I fear this is just coloured subbass and not actual raw subbass power that doesn't mud the mix. Well I hope is the former because these ****ers are kinda pricey (they go up to around 200€, so I would need to be really convinced to do it).

I would appreciate reviews from actual owners of these. Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Future Sonics Atrio M5 (or M8) ...according to a LOT of opinions here, or Denons C700 (or 751). Both known from good bass. I own the second ones and the bass and treble are indeed very nice.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolperl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Future Sonics Atrio M5 (or M8) ...according to a LOT of opinions here, or Denons C700 (or 751). Both known from good bass. I own the second ones and the bass and treble are indeed very nice.

I've read very good reviews from Atrio's, specially mentioning nonstop how good the low frequencies sound there. But also heard they lack a bit of crisp in the high ends, anyone can confirm?

I like bass, but I would hate if they have that kind of coloured super subs and lacking in the high frequencies, but I guess is not as exagerated.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by glacius1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read very good reviews from Atrio's, specially mentioning nonstop how good the low frequencies sound there. But also heard they lack a bit of crisp in the high ends, anyone can confirm?

I like bass, but I would hate if they have that kind of coloured super subs and lacking in the high frequencies, but I guess is not as exagerated.

The mids nor the highs are compromised in favor of low-frequency response.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoLimits3D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mids nor the highs are compromised in favor of low-frequency response.
normal_smile .gif

Thats good to ear... what is a safe online shop to buy earphones in europe?

Also, just readed this about the Super Fi 5 Extended Bass...

"I have a set of 5EBs. The bass is incredible, but at the expense of mids and highs. They nearly completely kill off treble and some mids. They're good, but not worth the amount of coin people ask for them."

Can any user confirm on this?

I am still undecided :s

Jan 31, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Ok so been checking out reviews and im pretty convinced with what people says about the Atrios m5 (m8 etc are the same but different colors, right?).

What online shop sells them? I cant find any at least on europe.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Ok so been checking out reviews and im pretty convinced with what people says about the Atrios m5 (m8 etc are the same but different colors, right?).

Correct.

Quote:

What online shop sells them? I cant find any at least on europe.

Here's a UK retailer. It's not directly from Amazon, but the marketplace retailer appears to have favorable ratings.

The M8s are also on there for about 5 pounds less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back