best earphones for £200ish available in uk
Jun 12, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 27
Oh also I just realised seems the KZ ZS10 Pro are over a year old and I can wait a few months any chance of their successor coming out?

Who knows, I wasn't interested in waiting. Ref those other ones, I am unsure, as we know the Chinese tend to put so many IEMs out, it's typically sheer fluke that they present something well rounded.
Just buy them and have Amazon deliver them tomorrow, you can then update and thank me!

Jun 12, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #17 of 27
Oh also I just realised seems the KZ ZS10 Pro are over a year old and I can wait a few months any chance of their successor coming out?

There is a successor of the KZ ZS10 Pro called the KZ ZSX (Terminator). I haven't tried it but it seems the headfiers in the KZ thread say it is better in timbre and technicalities, though some reported a worse fit due to the fin shaped shell of the ZSX.

The ZS10 Pro is quite bang for buck at about $30ish USD. Good technicalities, V shaped, good fit, above average isolation. The ZS10 Pro's treble frequencies are not very good for timbre for acoustic instruments, and the midbass is occasionally flabby with occasional harsh upper mids/lower treble. But this is just nitpicking since it is very good for the price. Hits about 80% sound quality of my Westone 3 that costs 10 times more.

There's better CHIFI than the ZS10 Pro TBH, but at diminshing returns. I think it is good for pop and rock, but due to the artificial timbre, not the best for jazz or classical.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #18 of 27
There is a successor of the KZ ZS10 Pro called the KZ ZSX (Terminator). I haven't tried it but it seems the headfiers in the KZ thread say it is better in timbre and technicalities, though some reported a worse fit due to the fin shaped shell of the ZSX.

The ZS10 Pro is quite bang for buck at about $30ish USD. Good technicalities, V shaped, good fit, above average isolation. The ZS10 Pro's treble frequencies are not very good for timbre for acoustic instruments, and the midbass is occasionally flabby with occasional harsh upper mids/lower treble. But this is just nitpicking since it is very good for the price. Hits about 80% sound quality of my Westone 3 that costs 10 times more.

There's better CHIFI than the ZS10 Pro TBH, but at diminshing returns. I think it is good for pop and rock, but due to the artificial timbre, not the best for jazz or classical.
The ZSX is only a quid more on amazon here so i might check that out.

also it costs about 50usd in uk

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #19 of 27
The ZSX is only a quid more on amazon here so i might check that out.

also it costs about 50usd in uk
You can import it with aliexpress. Much cheaper but the delivery times are much longer.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #20 of 27
You can import it with aliexpress. Much cheaper but the delivery times are much longer.
problem is then i might run into import taxes also no warranty and aliexpress dont take paypal so personally i would rather pay a little more for the security.

Also, sorry i know im kinda running off one the price range line now lol but what do people think of KZ AS16. I know these are more than double the price but i don't mind if they carry 80% of the value to performance as my original budget was around £200.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #21 of 27
problem is then i might run into import taxes also no warranty and aliexpress dont take paypal so personally i would rather pay a little more for the security.

Also, sorry i know im kinda running off one the price range line now lol but what do people think of KZ AS16. I know these are more than double the price but i don't mind if they carry 80% of the value to performance as my original budget was around £200.

Actually it would be better if you could provide more details below, so the community can give u a better rec:

1) What are your preferred music genres?
2) What is your preferred sound signature? Basshead/bass averse? Neutral? Treblehead/treble sensitive? V shaped? Midcentric? Harmanish?
3) Are u gonna use the set on the go or at home (ie is drivability and isolation important)?

KZ AS16 wasn't too well received. It is KZ's most expensive release to date, and they tried to enter the $100 USD market when they were the kings of the sub $50 market. So they had to fight some big boys and didn't fare well.

The CCA C16 (CCA is the sister company of KZ; C16 is not to be confused with the newer CCA CA16) was better received and it came out just before the KZ AS16 and was cheaper.

I know it looks like more drivers may look like better sound quality, but that's not true. Tuning is much more important.

I would suggest that you try something sub $50 to see if u like it, then upgrade up the line later. If u jump into a $200 set straight away and don't like it, that would be a big pity. I think based on your music genre preferences, KZ ZSX or ZS10 Pro may suit you. The ZS AS16 seems more analytical than "fun sounding", but YMMV.

U can ask more about the various KZs in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #22 of 27

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

1591975212583.png

If you tell the seller to declare a lower price than 15 gbp, then you wont run into any fees according to this.

Jun 12, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #23 of 27
Actually it would be better if you could provide more details below, so the community can give u a better rec:

1) What are your preferred music genres?
2) What is your preferred sound signature? Basshead/bass averse? Neutral? Treblehead/treble sensitive? V shaped? Midcentric? Harmanish?
3) Are u gonna use the set on the go or at home (ie is drivability and isolation important)?
1 - I listen to everything that isn't pre 90's or hard rock type stuff. I can't really describe my prefered genre but ill list a few random songs whatever genre these are. I have phases of a few months at a time where i go specifically to one genre.

I hope these links dont open up and take up loads of screen space please god lol
These are random songs i quickly copy pasted on a youtube automatic playlist. This is more recent stuff then but i would say i actually listen to everything.

2 - I do like bass i can confirm. V shaped i guess. But i dont like super sharp highs because my ears are sensitive and certain frequencies hurt my ears.

3 - They will be used on the go. Driveability i guess so but as previously discussed I'll probably buy the meizu hifi pro as oneplus 7tpro does not have a headphone jack. Isolation as in others hear my music is important i dont want that, but i dont mind about vice versa e.g if someone is talking. I wont be using them in loud scenarios at least not much but im guessing one is effectively the same as the other so isolation is important but i wouldn't sacrifice sound quality much further than making them closed not open for it.

Jun 12, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #25 of 27
Meizu Hifi Pro or Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, much of a muchness. The Meizu is on Hifigo with expedited shipping to UK. You could get something for sale in the UK, e.g. iFi or Audioquest, but they aren't as clean a signal, and also cost a lot more so stay clear.

Also, it has been said that if the headphones are easy to drive, which the ZS10s are, they you don't really need to pay the premium for the Meizu Pro, the standard one for less than 30 quid will suffice and you won't hear the difference. I got the Pro because I have some harder to drive cans that I use sometimes.
Watch out for HifiGo. They are still quoting pre-covid shipping times. I ordered something to the US and the shipping times said 8-15 days. It's been 20 days already. I contacted HifiGo and they said things are really taking 4-5 weeks right now.

This is fine under the covid conditions, IF they put the real delivery times on their website. But they won't update thier website to today's delivery realities. So, if you order, be prepared for a longer wait than thier website specifies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back